Field Hunting...Site of an old home

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
So I went out Tuesday to one of the fields that my pool team member gave me permission to hunt. Used to be an old home there.

There are glass shards and orange bricks all over this field.

Now...I only hunted 3 hours there, it was REAL hot on Tuesday and I hunted from 11am-2pm during the hottest part. There was a decent amount of targets...didnt dig them all, but I wanted to cause you never know what you'll find at those old home sites.

Anyway, I found an old, relatively small crotal bell, about the size of a nickel in diameter, but gave that to the landowners. Also gave them a skeleton key that I found. The owner has a "parts cleaner" so I am sure that they will come out looking pretty nice.

I usually keep all the old things, but I figure I'll turn over a few of the cool old things to them. They've owned the property for years and its a centenial farm plus!!!

They seem to think some of the things are pretty cool.

I found about 10 of these things that I refer to as "INTSRUMENT REEDS", but I guess I dont really know what they are. Someone told me that once, so I guess it kind of stuck.

I'll post some pics, I'm sure some of you guys have found them before. I usually find them at old one-room schoolhouses.

Anyway, also found a few old shotgun heads as well. Plenty of scrap iron.

Managed 1 coin out there, but it was an oldie...

Got me an 1863 Indianhead. Not really picture worthy...probably couldn't read the date without a magnifying glass. I don't really clean my coins, haven't found a real good way yet, but interested in some of your methods.

I'll head back sooner than later though. There has to be more. Gotta be a decent chance of popping a few more oldies out there. Never found a large cent yet, so I'd like to find one of them.

Deerhunter24

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score on the early indian. good luck going back. that largie is right around the corner :thumbsup:

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63 Fatty is a good find. Sharing your finds with the owner is a smart move. You shouldn't have any problems continuing to come back and hit that site hard, it will probably eventually give you your large cent.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are talking about what i think you are they are player piano parts!

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Hey mike. A buddy of mine looked saw them today and that's what he said. Piano parts. Interesting. Thanks for the post.

Chuck

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find..i guess my opinion is dig all the good signals you hear...i always work on the assumption that i may not be able to get back to a place..so if i spend 3 or 4 hrs there i dig everything i hear that does not sound like trash....even the really iffy stuff....i usually have my trash pouch full,but you will be surprised at what some of those signals turn out to be... :thumbsup:
believe me i have lost a couple of sites in farm fields due to other people not asking permission to hunt arrowheads or hunt animals and the farmers just get tired of it so even if you ask they will say no hte next time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions