Field of...Quarters???

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so this is a little strange...last night I pop over to a new field to hunt for just about 2 hours before the sun goes down. Nothing unusual at first, and I start finding a few quarters...I thought, "Hey that's cool, I never usually find quarters." But then, every SINGLE hit I was getting, I was digging up a quarter! And they were all in relatively the same condition....no more than an inch down, clad (I haven't finished checking, but definitely NO silvers), and usually encrusted in grass. The soil seemed rockier than usual...when I would start digging a plug, it almost seemed like I was hitting concrete about 2 inches down....only to find it was just very rocky. Also, I found nearly $16 in quarters in, I would say, no more than a 20 sq. foot area (maybe bigger or smaller, I'm bad at estimating)...but when I had to stop, I was still getting hits and really didn't cover that much ground.

Additionally, I would occasionally find pennies, dimes, and nickels...but not as frequently as the quarters...this was near a ball field...how the heck did all these quarters get here???? I mean I love it and definitely going back today ASAP...but it's the strangest thing!! Any theories??

20140410_210542.jpg

Last edited:

Ole # 7

Feb 13, 2014
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Eclipse 9.5 concentric, Eclipse DD 6x10, Bullseye TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone wanted you to pay off that AT Pro this week!!! SWEEET!!! :occasion14:

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How "near" the ballfield was it? I've had similar things happen and found out that the place I was looking was right where the old concession stand used to be....usually gravel-filled because they didn't want a big mud pit there with all the foot traffic (which would maybe account for your rocky soil). In cases like that, I usually disc anything below dime and just go to town. It's nice picking up $10+ in change in just an hour or two!

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How "near" the ballfield was it? I've had similar things happen and found out that the place I was looking was right where the old concession stand used to be....usually gravel-filled because they didn't want a big mud pit there with all the foot traffic (which would maybe account for your rocky soil). In cases like that, I usually disc anything below dime and just go to town. It's nice picking up $10+ in change in just an hour or two!

They had a fence outliner the perimeter of the field, and I was finding the quarters I guess you could call it the outfield...I didn't go inside to where the bases and everything were because it was locked up, but I'm gonna try tonight. I thought of concession stand, but it seemed excessive even for that! Oh, well...think I'll just disc anything below dime as you suggested and finish up tonight and during the weekend....I'll let you guys know the results! :)

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember being told money doesn't grow on trees. Perhaps it's seed money ???

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding fields of quarters! congrats on a good score! If someone wants to lose quarters for you to find, go with it!!!

Like he said maybe a concession stand coin spill, or someone's bag of quarters.
They may also hold mini carnivals at that field.
I found a couple of rolls of quarters at a fill your water jug place after winter, in the mud.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lucky you awesome find! can't complain about a field of quarters. Lets us know how the next hunt turns out.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to go to a place that I called Quarter Acre. It was about that size and I got several quarters out of that area.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have often wondered why any given field trip ends up mostly in one specific coin? This morning it was penny day, as I got about 25 within a hour. I hit the same spot about 8 months ago, and it was dime day!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:weee: Way to go.Congrats.For sure hit that spot again.Hope you find a lot more.HH

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on spark girl you can fiqure this out ...the aliens put it there

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it!!! Those aliens are so crafty lol...well I'm going back in an hour!! Sooooo excited :D

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now just a darn minute! I'm a transplanted alien living in Roswell, and I don't know anyone crazy enough to salt a specific area just in hopes someone will find it!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there was a nearby vending machine for thirsty ball players and fans.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The outfields are sometimes used as youth soccer fields. At these games a "hat' is usually passed to collect donations for the kids to get ice cream. Most drop in change. And kids sometimes drop the hat. I take my grandkids to these fields around here and look for the appropriate sideline area. They usually find coins. Mostly quarters and dimes and nickels as pennies are usually throw in a penny jar at home and not carried to the games. Just a thought.

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a chic hit another with a Crown Royal bag with quarters in it. "Only in Adair County" I thought

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a spot in a park once where I hit over 20 quarters and 12 sac dollars in a small area.didnt figure it out untill a year later when I saw a birthday party at a park featuring a pinata with candy and coins in it.Was like sharks onna chum line with those kids.
Hit that spot the next day and scored about $7.50 in 15 mins

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any theories??

My theory: A food vendor was rushing back to his car in a sudden storm, and this fell out of his pocket. Some vendors used to wear these cheap nail aprons, which had shallow pockets. Not good if you are running real fast with those full of change.

I really should make one of these out of canvas or old denim or something. I'd have 3 pockets: coins, other keep, junk/garbage.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Some guy showed up for a fight and used a roll of quarters to reinforce his hand. You need to find where he made contact w/his other hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread