Field Site getting Stingy. LC, Indian and some Relics

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a little warming trend going on. The top 2-3 inches is a thawed out muddy mess then you hit the frozen layer. I walked about an hour today before finding the Indian (1881). I worked the site about 3 more hours got skunked. Then I wondered over to the 2nd site and started working it, most of the relics were surface finds and came from site #2. The curved brass/copper thingy was about 3-4 inches deep and rang up like an LC/Silver coin. I wonder if this piece is a trigger guard from a rifle? I also found an odd bullet, I can only read "Blanks" on the bottom, can't make out what it says above that (top) looks like the primer has been struck but the end is still closed. If anyone can identify the relics besides the Buckle and Oil Lamp burner (obvious) I appreciate it. Finally after 5 plus hours I was heading to the truck, the sun was down and the horizon was colorful (not quite dark). As I walked East I was crossing over my north and South passes at site 1 and i got a good signal on the e-trac, IT WAS UNDER ONE OF MY FOOTPRINTS HEADING NORTH FROM YESTERDAY!! I literally stepped right on top of it and missed it, but I got it today!! 1850 LC

Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• BlanksBullet.JPG
    BlanksBullet.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 220
  • BlanksBullet2.JPG
    BlanksBullet2.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 88
  • BlanksBullet3.JPG
    BlanksBullet3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 1881Obverse.JPG
    1881Obverse.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 1881IndianReverse.JPG
    1881IndianReverse.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 1850LCObverse.JPG
    1850LCObverse.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 1850Reverse.JPG
    1850Reverse.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 1-19Group.JPG
    1-19Group.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solid hunt brother! Always feels complete with an old coin. Once in awhile we get lucky with a few great coins and relics but these hunts with a coin or two certainly help to get us to the next great one

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a trigger guard! Nice finds again good work!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great IH and LC, and relics to boot, nice!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty decent finds I think ! Not having found either an IH or a Large Cent .

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You do really well. An LC and an IHC... those are really nice coins from my point of view.

The shell is a blank... practice round. I can not tell the caliber, but looks like 9mm or .45 cal., it is an auto loader round, as opposed to a revolver. The tip is rounded so that the cartridge will slide up the ramp and into the chamber.

GL&HH!

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. Was a great hunt.

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do really well. An LC and an IHC... those are really nice coins from my point of view.

The shell is a blank... practice round. I can not tell the caliber, but looks like 9mm or .45 cal., it is an auto loader round, as opposed to a revolver. The tip is rounded so that the cartridge will slide up the ramp and into the chamber. GL&HH!
Thanks for the info CT. I thought a blank as well. 1) Because it says "blanks" on the bottom 2) because it looks like the primer has been struck, but the end is still closed up. I don't have much firearms knowledge. I'm guessing from your description, it must have been a more recent drop (past 10-20) years and not period to the 1800s field site. Is that your opinion?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice coin finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread