Field Test Of The New Garrett Wireless System.....

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think John meant that Garrett does not offer a set of their own manufacture. The Detectnix, while nice, have a 6 hour limit, whereas Z-Lynk goes for 20 hours. Also, if the battery dies on Detectnix, the headphones are useless. If that happens with Z-Lynk, you just detach the Z-Lynk and plug in headphones to the detector, like you used to. What is the battery life on the Rapoo? Do they come with a transmitter? $30 does sound cheap, I have to admit.... ;)

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking I would cut the headphone wires off to about 6" and mount the receiver to the earphone bridge//
any thoughts??

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I think John meant that Garrett does not offer a set of their own manufacture. The Detectnix, while nice, have a 6 hour limit, whereas Z-Lynk goes for 20 hours. Also, if the battery dies on Detectnix, the headphones are useless. If that happens with Z-Lynk, you just detach the Z-Lynk and plug in headphones to the detector, like you used to. What is the battery life on the Rapoo? Do they come with a transmitter? $30 does sound cheap, I have to admit.... ;)

Thanks for clearing that up Andy. I don't think he quite got the jest of my response. Garrett currently does not have Garrett wireless tuned headset tuned to the new Z-Lynk, but I am sure there is one on the way.......

wireless headphone 2.jpg

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Z-Link is paid for and on pre-order.... very excited in Oregon... Merry Christmas to me.... :)))

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The battery life on the Rappoo is 6 hours. And yes they come with a 2.4 transmitter as well as a separate cord if your headphones die. Although I found this cord to be practically useless since you cant use the volume control on the headset without the wireless being turned on so it will blast your ears at full volume.

Last edited:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking I would cut the headphone wires off to about 6" and mount the receiver to the earphone bridge//
any thoughts??

I'm thinking if you have to cut the cord to make a $150.00 headset work for you you should probably not buy these cause there goes your warrantee.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you guys enjoy

Last edited:

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The battery life on the Rappoo is 6 hours. And yes they come with a 2.4 transmitter as well as a separate cord if your headphones die. Although I found this cord to be practically useless since you cant use the volume control on the headset without the wireless being turned on so it will blast your ears at full volume.

Sounds like a cheap alternative to Deteknix. Any downsides? Save $110 and get the same battery life is very attractive if the lag time is equal.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a cheap alternative to Deteknix. Any downsides? Save $110 and get the same battery life is very attractive if the lag time is equal.

They are very light and may slip off if your head if they brush up against something. As I stated in a different post they work great for the AT Pro but sound really bad on my Makro Racer. This may be due to the volume control on the Makro where the AT Pro does not have one, but I don't know. You will have to get the AT Pro adaptor cable for 33 bucks before you go with this option. There is no lag with this set either and the volume control is right on one of the ear cups. There are some videos out there on these headsets. Check them out. I've heard that bug spray will melt the ear covers, but they do offer replacements.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im glad to see a american company finally starting to do something, I use a deus amd once you use a true wireless machine you will never or at least I will never go back to a wired machine. I can see where garrett is gonna millions off this gizmo, but if they want my business back they need to make a true high performance wireless detector. Its only taken them 5 years to come up with this since the deus was released so maybe in 5 more years I can buy an american machine. Ive had my hands on all kinds of detectors and im not a brand homer and dont get paid to say GOOD things either. The more people that buy the deus and use it here the american companys better watch out their in big trouble if the consumer ever figures it out and how far behind american technology is behind in the metal detecting world.

Cala - This is not true about the American detectors.... Sorry but i have to jump in here after these comments you have made... I have been digging since 1977 and have 7 current detectors and have used many other brands and every coil you can imagine. i was buying 12" Bounty Hunter coils back in the early 1980's to try to get more depth. I am not brand loyal at all and would use a $39 Monkey Wards detector for the conditions I needed to hunt if it worked best. You relic hunt and the XP is great for that (good for you) because it is a beep and dig detector. Its fast, its deep, but has no real true target ID. You have to dig it all. You posted a video recently for all to see using a CTX and you had no idea how to set it up correctly and the swing speed of a true FBS detector. It is not a relic detector. The comparison has no value! I have a Etrac, Fisher F75 and a Whites MXT All Pro, etc, etc.... I can tell you from years of true experience that Whites, Fisher, Minelab, Deus, etc all make great detectors but they all have their own strengths and weaknesses based on the place and ground condition you are currently hunting. You base all of your comparisons off of relic hunting. reminder many of us have been doing this for many, many years.

Like the nail test you posted recently... My Etrac and my F75 both I can put rusty nails right on top of the coins and still hear the coin and not the nails when the detector is set up correctly.

i am not trying to be combative but want to be sure everyone knows the truth. Sorry man!

And yes Garrett is going to make a killing off of the Z-Link. Mine is already paid for and on order. :)

Have fun relic detecting... :)

Gary from Oregon

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its good for us to have open discussions, it is true about the first ctx videos I made I probably will take them down but go look at my new one in the head to head section. I did my homework and took the time to get to know it and its features. I regret shooting those first videos ,I was using a borrowed machine the second I bought my own and did my homework. . Just got a tesero cortes its like something right out of the 80s,garrett is just now coming out with wireless tech, whites just came out with a heavy beast that takes 8 aa batteries to run it , why not rechargable units very nice feature? Why not wireless detectors that weigh 2 pounds im sure guys who have been swinging for 30 years would love a light weight machine. Why should you have to buy 3 different coils to change frequencys why not just have the detector were you change it? Why not updatable technology? why not true wireless dectectors and headphones? I mean these are my thoughts when I think about technology and detectors. Im not including minelabs when I say american companys because they are from across the pond too. I mean pick up the french machine and pick up the top of the line garrett,whites vi3, f75,t2, even though they are solid performers and then pick up the french machine and look at its features and ask your self which one has the better technology? If you walk away believing the american companys are on par with the over seas companys and lets include minelab because they are from across the pond too then we can agree to disagree . I mean really I dont get hard feelings about this stuff because we are geared different but we love the same hobby and no matter what machine we use we ha common goal thats to find the treasure whether it be a merc or a spanish real.:icon_thumleft: Imo the DEUS and CTX are the 2 most advanced machines in the world for relics and coinshooting ,what american company even comes close? please dont answer that here you can p.m as I dont want to hi jack johns thread.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Z-Link is not waterproof...

scavanau

Jul 7, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Ace-250, AT-Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgive me if this is a noob question but what are the advantages to having a wireless system (other than not having a cable coiled around the detector shaft)? Does it improve performance?

I can only imagine the enjoyment of NOT having the headphones pulled off my head or NOT having them pulled off when its cold and I'm wearing a winter hat, dragging said hat over my eyes. I think improved performance would follow the loss of that irritation.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hooked up an FM transmitter to my Ace 250 10 years ago and it worked fine, this doesn't look much more advanced than that, plus I didn't need a receiver unit.

Looks awkward and a potential charging/interference nightmare, plus its easy to see it going for half the cost of an AT pro. ... Of course, I have a Deus so by default I wouldn't be interested.

Edit: Wow, just found my wireless 250 post from a decade ago, how time flies !
Turns out I did need a receiver, but could have easily got rid of that by buying headphones with an fm tuner built it, widely available at the time. Never got into headphones though, and in fact didn't start using them until I got the Deus a few months back.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tech-talk/8864-semi-cordless-headphones-detectors.html

These days there are mini bluetooth transmitters, so you'd use one of those instead of an fm transmitter, then the signal should go to any bluetooth headphones. [Have no idea why everything formats after a link, and no the "remove format" button doesn't do a thing].

Only snag there with a machine like the AT is the propriety headphone outlet, you'd need that adapter cord. Those with standard 1/4 jacks could go bluetooth wireless any time they felt like it for very little $$.

The problem I have found with a Bluetooth type wireless arrangements on metal detectors is that there is a significant delay from when the coil passes over the target to when the signal is heard in the HPs. This is often enough to make pinpointing a pain. The last set I used was ok so long as a very slow sweep speed was used.

The new Garrett set-up appears to have eliminated this problem. So maybe it is an FM TX/RX

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The battery life on the Z-Link is approx 30 hrs.

Speed: 17 millisecond delay ... that is what the Z stands for... almost zero delay.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_garrett_wireless_system.aspx

Last edited:

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So how can I get my claws on one of these doohickies from Garrett?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rcoggins

Nov 18, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too little too late. I have the Israeli Rapoo 2.4 wireless headphones. Cost me 30 dollars on e-bay. They work great on my AT Pro with no lag, and no wires. Funny thing is that they sound terrible on my Makro Racer 2 so i will be getting the Racer proprietary 2.4 solution. So that's $150.00 for 2 different headsets which is the same as the Garrett Z-link price for their still semi wired set. I like Garrett, but i like Makro better, and I think I'll be using the Makro more anyway since it is AWESOME!!!

Hi guys,

I'm new here to the forum but not completely new to metal detecting. I've been playing around with it off and on for several years now. I purchased a set of the Rapoo wireless headphones that you recommended and absolutely love them. As you mentioned in one of your other posts the headphones are very light weight coming in at only 60.4 g and the transmitter along with a required 1/8 inch to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter weighs in it only 19.2 g. This is a very lightweight set up that works excellent on my AT Pro with no latency and great sound. I used them today for about 4 hours and they were so light that you forget you even have them on and they fit nicely right over my baseball cap that I always wear. I want to try them out on my Fisher F5 just soon as the weather allows me to. Thank you Dr. Witty for recommending these.

BTW, I purchased them on eBay for $28.00 With free shipping from Israel.

Happy New Year's to all of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread