Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fiestaware find. I think it's all old?

I scored some Fiestaware over the weekend. I'm not an expert and this is the first time i've purchased any. I think I did good but could use some help from clovis97 because I know he and his wife collect and sell fiestaware. There are 4 different backmarks and a few small saucers with no markings. I went overboard and paid $50 for the lot, I hope I did okay. Here are the pics

Attachments

• 100_4899.jpg
    100_4899.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,650
  • 100_4904.jpg
    100_4904.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,248
  • 100_4912.jpg
    100_4912.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,455
  • 100_4896.jpg
    100_4896.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,921
  • 100_4893.jpg
    100_4893.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 11,942
  • 100_4909.jpg
    100_4909.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,512
  • 100_4906.jpg
    100_4906.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,622
  • 100_4911.jpg
    100_4911.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,727

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Fiestaware find. I think it's all old?

diggummup said:
I scored some Fiestaware over the weekend. I'm not an expert and this is the first time i've purchased any. I think I did good but could use some help from clovis97 because I know he and his wife collect and sell fiestaware. There are 4 different backmarks and a few small saucers with no markings. I went overboard and paid $50 for the lot, I hope I did okay. Here are the pics
did a quick search for you.. you did good
http://fiestadishes.info/featured/fiesta-markings-dating-your-vintage-fiestaware

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
http://fiestadishes.info/featured/fiesta-markings-dating-your-vintage-fiestaware
Do the photos show up on that website for you?
Because they all look like this to me-

fiestawarebackstamp-150x150.jpg

From what I read, I think I did good too, but I like pictures of the actual backstamps myself. There are so many variations it gets confusing... for me anyway.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
Do the photos show up on that website for you?
Because they all look like this to me-

From what I read, I think I did good too, but I like pictures of the actual backstamps myself. There are so many variations it gets confusing... for me anyway.
yeah I get same pics an it is confusing

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Wow...

I think you did well.

The top pic shows a vintage covered casserole...what a find!!!!! The knob handle on these are so often found broken, so check for glue jobs before listing.

I am going to have to make multiple posts so I can check the pics.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Okay...this can be tricky...

The colors in photos can make it tough to determine if it is vintage or Post 86. In real life, I can spot and determine vintage a mile away.

The covered casserole is definitely vintage. I think the color is light green.

Under the covered casserole, there are plates. I'm not sure if they are vintage light green or Post 86 in a color they call Sea Foam. FWIW, I think the plate just under the covered casserole is vintage. You can measure the old plates to also determine if they are Post 86 or vintage.

The cream soup bowls...are those marked on the bottom? They appear to be yellow, and vintage. Those bowls can be super hard to find. I think they were made until 1959 or so.

The third photo down shows what I believe to be a vintage one quart veggie bowl in Radioactive Red. There appears to be a vintage bowl in MEDIUM GREEN, which is one of the hardest colors to find, and used to bring a HUGE premium. That green bowl could also be Post 86 in Shamrock...it looks like a new cereal bowl. What mark does the bottom have?

Also in the third photo, there are saucers for tea cups. Appears to be yellow and ivory in colors. Feel blessed if you can get $2 each for them.

The fourth photo...you got me on that one. Is that the bottom of a new tea pot or carafe in Turquoise?

The fifth photo...that mark is a dead ringer for vintage.

The sixth photo...also a dead ringer for vintage. Do you see the three firing pin marks? The three firing pin marks are a sure and definite way to help date vintage Fiesta. Vintage Fiesta was fired in the kiln sitting on a wire stand that poked holes in the glaze.

The seventh photo...definitely vintage. Is that the bottom of the Radioactive Red one quart bowl?

The eighth photo shows a vintage Fiesta plate of some sort, even though it isn't marked. Not all vintage Fiesta is marked. See the firing pin marks on the bottom of the plate?

Does this help??

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

clovis97 said:
Okay...this can be tricky...

The colors in photos can make it tough to determine if it is vintage or Post 86. In real life, I can spot and determine vintage a mile away.

The covered casserole is definitely vintage. I think the color is light green.

Under the covered casserole, there are plates. I'm not sure if they are vintage light green or Post 86 in a color they call Sea Foam. FWIW, I think the plate just under the covered casserole is vintage. You can measure the old plates to also determine if they are Post 86 or vintage.
measurements are as follows light green casserole 8 in., light green and yellow plates 9 1/2 in., light green round platter plate 14 3/8 in., 11 in. round yellow serving dish with 1 inch rim and standing 1 9/16 in. high (see photo below), 3 small plates 6 1/4 in. (2 styles see photo below), all have kiln furniture marks, the darker green bowl is 7 in. to the outside rim, the red bowl is 9 1/2 in., and I also have an oval platter that is 9 7/8 X 12 5/8 in.

The cream soup bowls...are those marked on the bottom? They appear to be yellow, and vintage. Those bowls can be super hard to find. I think they were made until 1959 or so. yes they are yellow and marked on the bottom (see photo below)

The third photo down shows what I believe to be a vintage one quart veggie bowl in Radioactive Red.
phot of bottom below There appears to be a vintage bowl in MEDIUM GREEN, which is one of the hardest colors to find, and used to bring a HUGE premium. That green bowl could also be Post 86 in Shamrock...it looks like a new cereal bowl. What mark does the bottom have? see photo below for the mark

Also in the third photo, there are saucers for tea cups. Appears to be yellow and ivory in colors. Feel blessed if you can get $2 each for them. there are 2 tea cup saucers and one without an impression for a teacup, all are the same yellow color, see below

The fourth photo...you got me on that one. Is that the bottom of a new tea pot or carafe in Turquoise? that is the bottom of the covered casserole, it is a light green color

The fifth photo...that mark is a dead ringer for vintage.
that is the bottom of a light green plate

The sixth photo...also a dead ringer for vintage. Do you see the three firing pin marks? The three firing pin marks are a sure and definite way to help date vintage Fiesta. Vintage Fiesta was fired in the kiln sitting on a wire stand that poked holes in the glaze.
all the plates have these marks
The seventh photo...definitely vintage. Is that the bottom of the Radioactive Red one quart bowl?
yes it is

The eighth photo shows a vintage Fiesta plate of some sort, even though it isn't marked. Not all vintage Fiesta is marked. See the firing pin marks on the bottom of the plate?
that is the bottom of one of the teacup saucers

Does this help??
Yes it does, thanks. I'll do my best to describe what marks go with what piece, above in red LETTERING in the quotation. As far as colors go, their are only 4 different ones. The light green which is what the covered casserole, 4- 9 1/2 in. plates , the large 14 3/8 in round platter and the oval platter is, the yellow cream soup bowls, creamer and sugar, 3 saucers, 2 plates and the 11 in.serving plate, the darker colored "medium"green (1 pc. the bowl) and the 1 red bowl.

bottom of covered casserole
100_4896.jpg

bottom of cream soup bowls
100_4896.jpg

medium green bowl botton
100_4897.jpg

yellow 11 in. round serving dish?
100_4908.jpg

2 styles of small 6 1/4 in. plates or saucers
100_4934.jpg

Pic of everything
100_4929.jpg

Attachments

• 100_4932.jpg
    100_4932.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 946

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Okay...the yellow round serving piece...

Does it measure 11 inches, or 10 3/4 inches?

If it measures 11 inches, I think it is a vintage relish tray. The good news is that you may have a relish tray, the bad news is that you are missing the four triangular pie shaped trays, and the small 3 1/2 inch round bowl that goes in the middle.

If it measures 10 3/4", it could possibly be a vintage spaghetti bowl....a very rare piece.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

After a little review, I think the green bowl in question is a new, Post 86 shamrock green cereal bowl, not medium green like we had hoped.

ETA: The shamrock bowl appears to have a grayish tint on the bottom. If it does, it is a second quality piece.

It is unusual to see only a single post 86 piece in a group of vintage...most often, you'll see someone add to a vintage set, at least adding 5 or 6 new Post 86 items...but this is just an odd observation on my part.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

The sugar and creamer are definitely vintage. The new Post 86 sugar and creamer look much, much different.

You sadly are missing the lid to the sugar...I have an extra gray lid somewhere.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I am perplexed with the 14 3/8" round plate.

I am wondering if that is a new Post 86 chop plate, or something vintage that we are not familiar with. Chop plates don't sell well for us, so we've only stocked a few in the past.

If I recall correctly, the vintage chop plates were like 12 1/4", and they had some in 15"...but 14 3/8''?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Dig,

I am sorry I am not of more help. I am beat tired tonight.

There have been hundreds of Fiesta items, both vintage and Post 86. It is hard to remember them all!!!!

Like I mentioned before, if those dishes were in front of me, I can tell the difference without even touching them. Once you learn the new and vintage colors, you can spot them 10 miles away.

I've handled so much Fiesta in my life that I bet I could tell the difference in the pieces between new and old, blindfolded, just by touch, and probably within seconds.

At the same time, photos can limit what they show, especially with the colors. If you are ebaying, make sure you get as close as possible with the color matches.

Again, I apologize for not being able to share even more with you.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

clovis97 said:
Dig,

I am sorry I am not of more help. I am beat tired tonight.

There have been hundreds of Fiesta items, both vintage and Post 86. It is hard to remember them all!!!!

Like I mentioned before, if those dishes were in front of me, I can tell the difference without even touching them. Once you learn the new and vintage colors, you can spot them 10 miles away.

I've handled so much Fiesta in my life that I bet I could tell the difference in the pieces between new and old, blindfolded, just by touch, and probably within seconds.

At the same time, photos can limit what they show, especially with the colors. If you are ebaying, make sure you get as close as possible with the color matches.

Again, I apologize for not being able to share even more with you.
I don't think Digs will be upset no need to say your sorry, you have been a huge help to him an me also..thank you

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Disappointed that it has been 19 days, and I haven't gotten even a simple thank you for the hour I spent studying vintage Fiesta.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

clovis97 said:
Disappointed that it has been 19 days, and I haven't gotten even a simple thank you for the hour I spent studying vintage Fiesta.
Whoops, sorry about that clovis. It wasn't intentional. I must have looked at this when I was busy doing something else and forgot all about it because it had no new replies until now. I already sold the fiestaware for a flat $250 to a local. So it was kinda like out of sight out of mind. I do appreciate all of your help and thank you very much for the time you spent researching for me, it was/is much appreciated and useful. I apologize for the delay.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

All is well, friend.

I hope you have more luck finding vintage Fiesta. It is getting harder and harder to find from estates around here...virtually impossible. On occasion, I'll find a dish or two, but other than that, it is getting scarce.

Just be careful with buying the new stuff unless you can get it cheap.

The last time I heard, new Fiesta is the #1 requested pattern on wedding registries, and has been for many years.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I got really lucky finding that lot, I think the buyer got a good deal because she didn't even haggle with the price. I don't see too much Fiesta around down here (old or new), except at local antique shows and then it's always overpriced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread