Final hunt?

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Here's a few pics of my finds from Sat. This is more than likely my final hunt for 2012, and possibly my last hunt ever. Got a 1898 Barber dime (silver coin no. 78), 1899 indian, watch fob, 8 wheats (teens-'40s; not pictured), and a marble (not pictured). Clad total was $5.68 (most of it quarters).

I am well short of my 2012 goal of 100 silvers. City parks have been picked clean/hunted out. I'm tired of the frustration of researching a good spot, driving there, gridding it for several hours, and not finding anything. A few days later, along comes another detectorist, who hits the same spot you just gridded a few days earlier, and finds 5 or 6 silvers.

So, you go back again, gridding again, vowing to find something this time. Again, no luck. Same other detectorist returns a few days after your 2nd attempt, and, AGAIN finds another 5 or 6 silvers.

I'm just tired of the frustration, wasted time, and lost gas $ in not finding anything where others easily do.

As mentioned above, the city parks have been picked clean, making silver almost impossible to find (at least at those locations), and I'm not sure I want to waste all my time and gas $ driving all over the state looking for a spot that hasn't been pounded to death for the last 2 or 3 decades.

I am putting my detector up for the year, and possibly for good. If anyone is interested in a used E-Trac (and possibly an Ace), check Ebay, you'll probably find it there in the not too distant future.

I am starting to believe that, at least here in the Chicago area, there are simply too many detectorists and not enough spots to hunt.

Anyway, pics of Saturdays finds are below.

Attachments

• Picture 60.jpg
    Picture 60.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture 61.jpg
    Picture 61.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 80

Dave~IL

Sep 4, 2011
S. Elgin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This area is not as crowded with detectorists as you may think, population wise. When I lived in the Salt Lake City, Utah area, you could tear down an outhouse and have 14 guys there in an hour. Competition was tough. Take a break over the winter and reasess things come spring.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I don't do parks to often.

My goal for silver was 50 I hit that already so now it's 60 two more to go.

Paul you won't give it up since I have known you " It's in your blood " It won't ever leave.....

From now on just go out for the fun of it. If you find something thats a plus....

I have been skunked on outtings many many times don't let it get to you just enjoy it

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great hunt. Not sure how you aren't happy with that. Seems you need to stop comparing yourself to others and just have fun that you are blessed enough to even be able to go out and have the time out. Your one hunt there beats my last 5 hunts out in the LA area. I'll never get a barber out there and forget about the chance for a seated. You have it made dude.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a good hunt!!! im down to 1 hunt a week.. iv pounded all local areas in a 100 mi radius.. research is my best friend... hope u hang in there.. best to ya.... Tuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread