Final Platter Removals

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
As platter(-like) bifacial cores were reduced, the flakes removed from them became thinner in proportion to the remaining thickness of the core itself. The last ones were thin indeed, only suited for cutting tasks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sorry these came out crappy. No idea why the thumbnail posted. Or how to delete the extras using this tablet. Edit option doesn't show them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    795.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    832.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Soldiering on with these.

Flakes tend end to widen as they go when not constrained by ridges. This one is an edge-to-edge thinning flake, just barely an overshot. The hooked-over distal portion is turning into an endscraper from being used as one (flaking -- second picture at center -- is use wear).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Examples so far stayed intact. Often, even usually, they broke into sections, as this one did. Made of blue Flintridge, which Jon Dickinson says is rare. Probably had a graver spur @ left corner.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A rare blue flintridge point from Jon Dickinson's site :

adenaroot1.jpg

Last edited:

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been making giant bifaces to generate flakes of that size. Not knowing different, I would have taken them for spalls. Most are big enough to be worked to small points. How can you tell they were peeled off bifaces rather than a cobblestone or block?
All really nice, BTW.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Will come back to Out Of Time's question.

Final one in this series, and a great favorite. Gift from Ryan Leaf I've treasured for many years.

Made of what's called Ridge and Valley chert ; various sources differ widely on where it's found. Almost always, from what I've seen, as used up nubs of points that people obviously valued highly enough that they re-used them until there was no more use left in them.

An overshot thinning flake that was repurposed as an endscraper also, but with a twist : part of the scraping edge is still there, but most of it was removed to make a backed tool -- a bill hook. Probably for splitting sinew and the like. Thin edge retouched as well. Spur may have once been @ left corner.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Must have been making giant bifaces to generate flakes of that size. Not knowing different, I would have taken them for spalls. Most are big enough to be worked to small points. How can you tell they were peeled off bifaces rather than a cobblestone or block?
All really nice, BTW.

One of the all-time great threads ever posted here :

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/637820-biface-platters.html

Short answer: because thinning flakes follow (ride on) the shape of the core/nucleus. Look at the removals on these.

Last edited:

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bad, I wasn't familiar with the term 'platter' as a name for the huge bifaces that were used for stock. It was in your thread title but I missed it as a qualifier. Of course that explains it clearly but, even clearer, is this reply you made to the linked post.

You wrote:

"....Platter cores were the preferred design for transportation. They started out thicker and got thinner as long, transverse flakes (some of them overshots) were removed. Oval shapes made it fairly easy for removals to reach, or pass, the center line (no stacks wanted).

The ones found (like those) are generally last stage (thinnest) before being split in two (diagonally) for point production (if that's what was intended). At that point, they were cached for later use far from the lithic source.

The thin, spreading flakes removed were excellent tools as-is, and served as tool stock for making purposefully shaped tools like endscrapers.

Actually, near-complete thinning flakes from them are even scarcer than the platters themselves. First picture shows reduction sequence involved. All three are overshots.

Some Paleo Tools for Joshuareem

FWIW
Last edited by uniface; Jul 24, 2020 at 05:49 PM."

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
As mentioned, flakes follow the surface they're removed from. When that twists, the removal from it will also :

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    985.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread