Finally, 4th Franklin found filthy!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
But I managed to clean him up:laughing7:. I've had my eye on a yard down the street for a while, and I've had some interaction with the owner about searching it. He intends to put on an addition, and mentioned that he and his wife have found lots of debris buried in the yard. Apparently, a previous owner was a bit of a slob. In this neighborhood, however, no site should be dismissed out of hand; next door to him I found three Mercs, next to that I found a dateless SLQ and next to that one of my four half dimes (1853O, folded almost in half). Last week, the neighbor knocked at my door asking if I could help him locate survey markers; at the same time, he told me I could search the yard if I wanted! After a quick change of clothes, I was at his house and we managed to locate the marker in question (not exactly where he anticipated, by the way). Yesterday, I went back to do a little hunting and did okay. My first signal turned out to be a 1917 dog tax tag for Butler County; I know I've found a couple that age from nearby Beaver County. This one was really toasted, but still identifiable. I guess today they're just called licenses and I pay about $6 for my dog's; I wonder what the fee was 95 years ago? I managed lots of clad, and there are a lot of junk signals. The ground is also still very dry, and I'll probably go back A) when the kids are back in school and B) when the ground has more moisture in it. All that aside, the point of this post is to share the find of the day: a 1951 Franklin Half Dollar. As I recall, it's my first Half of the year and only my fourth Franklin in 8 years. I'd almost forgotten how pretty that big silver disk is in the hole!

Attachments

• zelieben (Small).jpg
    zelieben (Small).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver,Ben looks good there.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, you don't see Ben as often as the walking lady (for obvious reasons).

Last edited:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking half! Way to go! :icon_thumright:

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henry, glad to see that you got out. Now let's find another privy!!!!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Henry, glad to see that you got out. Now let's find another privy!!!!

I'm dying to! We're long overdue. I think I found a well at my cousin's house (where we dug 5 privies); I might ask about checking that out. It appears to have a solid top on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions