FINALLY! A silver George! (Washington, that is!)

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Now I can hang up the detector for the year. (Well, at least for the holiday) :wink:

First and most importantly, I want to wish all of you a very happy Thanksgiving! I know I have many things to be thankful for, and T-Net and it's great members happens to be one of them!

Well, today was the day! I finally cornered George! ;D WC I were out in the woods again looking for the remains of an old railroad line that closed down in the early 1900's. I was swinging around in the woods and also along a well used crushed stone path. After about an hour or two of nothing but metal booze bottle caps, I got a signal right next to a big tree along the path. :) Funny, it wasn't as high on Smartfind as I thought it would be. :icon_scratch: I've had pennies & dimes indicate higher. That's what I was expecting when that quarter flopped down from under the root it was hiding behind. I've dug hundreds of clad quarters, so it was hard to believe that it was an actual silver. I didn't believe it wasn't clad until I could actually read the date.

I know that one measly silver Washington might seem like a puny find compared to some. I have 19 silvers this year, and have been lucky enough to get a Barber, an SLQ, A walking half, a Barber dime, several Mercs, buffalos, a V-Nickel, and a couple of Indians. It just seemed funny that the simple silver George was eluding me. Well, he didn't want to come peacefully. :( I told him we could do this the easy way, or the hard way - the choice was his. Just to prove my point, I made a serious face and gave him a little nick with my digger. >:( He saw the light.

I also got a '41 wheat, but after the George - who cares? :tongue3:

hOLE.jpg

hAND.jpg

George both small.jpg

Here's what's left of the old railroad and bridge. Watercolor really goes out of his way to learn the history of places! Thanks for the great hunt, Mark, and Happy Thanksgiving again to all you T-Netters!
Neil

rr bRIGDE fOOTINGS.jpg

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, alright KD! :thumbsup: Happy for you to have made that goal! And isn't it nice to have a great hunting buddy? :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Nana :wink:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver.I wish I could have said the same only the coin I dug was Brittish.I like the new look.Happy Thanksgiving.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, well done :thumbsup: (Every once and awhile those silvers need to be intimidated with sharp, pointed objects :wink:)

From his condition, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been hiding under that tree since the late 40's.

Have a great Thanksgiving!
Mark

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That's a nice Thanksgiving day present for you! There are some nice area's to MD around where you are. I grew up in Kenosha WI and detected the North side of Chicago all the way up to Kenosha all the time. Happy Thanksgiving.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neil, your little conversation with George cracked me up :D

WTG on the quarter :thumbsup: You made some great digs this year and hope your luck continues into next year.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Nat

Hoosier

Apr 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Great Find ! Hopefully we can get a few more days in this year . I needed to get my XMAS lights up today but the weather was to nice and I decided to go detecting:)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on finally getting your first silver George Neil. :icon_king:
Why do quarters always seem to be hiding under roots? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
-Doug-

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find, Almost as old as I am.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done on getting the monkey off your back..
I won't have to hesitate or feel so guilty now when I find one  :-X :-X :-X
( That's a relief ) I'm glad you got it now

Whats next?

LARGE CENT !!!! 
Go with a LARGE CENT!!!!
Those are real hard to find. I don't find many of those.

I will say , that you and Mark are having a great year with being new to the hobby.

AVIATOR AWESOME LMAO

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 536
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 534

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Alright, Neil!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You were just talking about wanting to find a Silver Washington so bad. You really get what you want. ;D

Happy Thanksgiving!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, really like pictures of finds coming out of the ground! Congrats

HH,Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions