Finally, an End to the Skunk Streak (50+ keepers from 2 boxes)

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My last $3,000 had nothing but skunks. I went to another bank after some forum advice (thanks!) and got another $3,000. Oddly enough, four of the boxes produced nothing whatsoever... and then the other two really paid off. These two produced:

1936 - 1
1942 - 2
1943 - 3
1944 - 1
1945 - 1
1963 - 1
1964 - 5
1965 -1969 - 37

From some people with more experience with halves, is it about par to find boxes of nothing and then get one or two that really pay off? I would have thought it would have been nothing or maybe spread out, but it seems odd to find two that are loaded and then boxes with nothing whatsoever.

By the way, I don't sell or get rid of what I find, I don't have time to detect so this satisfy my hunt for treasure! My wife doesn't really understand why I enjoy this but she seemed to appreciate it a little more when I told her what was going on in the world in 1942 (while holding the walker) and the history that coin lived through (I'm 29).

Thanks for reading and good luck with your search!

Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finally, an End to the Skunk Streak

Those are some amazing scores!!! :hello2: I have never hit that big and I have opened up 65 boxes so far! I hope I can score like you did sometime soon!!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
Re: Finally, an End to the Skunk Streak

I've found that there's really no rhyme or reason to which boxes have how many keepers in them. I can get several skunks in a row and then get several boxes in a row with double digit keepers. I've also had many other instances where I'll pick up multiple boxes at once with some having silver and some being skunks. I think it all comes down to the luck of the draw. The only thing that is for certain for me is that over a 10 month period I've averaged just about 1 90% and 2 40% per box.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
usatc said:
My last $3,000 had nothing but skunks. I went to another bank after some forum advice (thanks!) and got another $3,000. Oddly enough, four of the boxes produced nothing whatsoever... and then the other two really paid off. These two produced:

1936 - 1
1942 - 2
1943 - 3
1944 - 1
1945 - 1
1963 - 1
1964 - 5
1965 -1969 - 37

From some people with more experience with halves, is it about par to find boxes of nothing and then get one or two that really pay off? I would have thought it would have been nothing or maybe spread out, but it seems odd to find two that are loaded and then boxes with nothing whatsoever.

By the way, I don't sell or get rid of what I find, I don't have time to detect so this satisfy my hunt for treasure! My wife doesn't really understand why I enjoy this but she seemed to appreciate it a little more when I told her what was going on in the world in 1942 (while holding the walker) and the history that coin lived through (I'm 29).

Thanks for reading and good luck with your search!

I don't know how I missed this post. Nice find ! Lots of oldies :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your got a good mix of 90%. Congrats!

HSH,