finally an old one!

KinjoVT

Jun 7, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Prizim IV, BHID, GTAX 400, GTA 350, and a few others
Finally after three years of metal detecting I have found an old coin. My oldest up until today was a 1916 wheat penny. My goal for since I started detecting was to break the 1900 barrier. Today at a new farm trying to find a friends diamond earring I got a good copper signal. Not a signal I was looking for but I figured I would dig it. I dug down and found a large coin. Not knowing what it was I started washing it with soap and water because it had a heavy green patina on it. As the dirt and some grime started coming off I could see stars and a headband that said "Liberty" I could also see "one cent" on the back. I found the date and it is 1822. After some more washing the details are sharp. I was psyched. I know that it is not a great find, but I figured I would share this find, and maybe motive others and reassure them that the coins are out there you just need to be persistant. Any ideas on how to clean this coin without damaging it? Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 101D4340 (2).JPG
    101D4340 (2).JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Thats a great find.You really broke into the 1800`s with a bang WTG.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find any old copper is a good find. Good luck on finding many more.

marky1016

Greenie
Apr 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
FISHER CZ7a w/SUNRAY PROBE;F5;F75
Great old Coin... :)I like large cents :icon_pi rat:Try olive oil...

coinshooter1

May 6, 2008
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites prizm IV
I hve been detecting for 8 yrs and i have not ever found anything that old. Great find, I hope you find more.

OP
OP
KinjoVT

KinjoVT

Jun 7, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Prizim IV, BHID, GTAX 400, GTA 350, and a few others
No I did not find the earring, but I do have permission to go back and try to find it again. I was also granted permission to the old orchard and was told there was some old foundations out there!
How long should I soak it in olive oil?

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Oh, you mean the copper! I thought you were talking about me (finally an old one). Nice coin. :thumbsup:

Damien12

Apr 2, 2008
Glren Allen , Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
A large cent is a great find! Took me 8 years to find one. Mine was an 1828. Soak that puppy in olive oil for several weeks at least. Then wash it with warm water and maybe a soft toothbrush and see how it looks.
Congrats!

Thomas007

Aug 29, 2007
Glouster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White MXT
That is a great find. Most MD'ers never find a large cent leave alone one dated 1822.

Way to go!

Let us know what you find around the old foundation in the orchard.

HH

Sanat

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other