Finally back to the New Park. I found one thing I did not expect...

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...another Detectorist that came to the park just to get out of the house. We talked a hour about all the places we hunt and found that we both hunt some of the same places. I hunt 3 or 4 times a week and he hunts 3 or 4 times a month.

It was nice to run into someone that didn't mind sharing their hunting spots. I am sure that he didn't give up all of them as I would not of done so either. We did share a couple of new spots with each other, exchanged numbers, and I said that I would call him and take him to one of my "private" CW hunting spots. He has been looking for a CW spot since he moved here - a buddy of his is always showing him CW Relics but won't show him where to go. I told him he could hunt mine anytime he wanted as long as he called and spoke with me to get permission for the day. I am sure that he is going to be thrilled with what he comes across.

He's an avid Kayaker like I am, so I gave him the name of a local contact that would give him a heck of a deal for just mentioning my name. He appreciated that and shortly there after, he headed to the shop.

I did more talking than hunting but, I did find a few things of little importance. I was hoping to get into the history of the place today but, it just wasn't meant to be. I had planned a couple of hunts on this land before it was turned into a park but, I never had the time to get there. This land was used for producing hay my entire life and before. Also, there were rumors that CW soldiers had camped on the land back in the day. In fact, just up the road at the back of the property is a "Military" road that was very busy during war time.

Here's what I found:
Todays New Park Finds 03_24_2020_0001.JPG

Tomorrow I will be detecting along, and in, the creek that runs through the middle of the property. Maybe I will find some elusive historical targets.

Next week me and my new acquaintance will be at my CW site - FINALLY!!

Thanks for looking and HH & GL.

Stay safe people!!
-DH-

Last edited:
Upvote 13

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Diggin’ what a great post, glad you met up with another enthusiast and you guys are swapping stories, finds and spots. I’d like to be there when your new friend pulls his first minie ball! If I had found that Corona cap I would have dug another ten or twelve inches and THEN tossed it in lol... Good luck with your newfound friend and I hope everything works out for you both. Thx for sharing, Ddf.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Diggin’ what a great post, glad you met up with another enthusiast and you guys are swapping stories, finds and spots. I’d like to be there when your new friend pulls his first minie ball! If I had found that Corona cap I would have dug another ten or twelve inches and THEN tossed it in lol... Good luck with your newfound friend and I hope everything works out for you both. Thx for sharing, Ddf.

Thanks for the kind words ddf.

-DH-

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to encounter another detectorist that you can trust and share spots with! I like the positivity here!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is the kind of interaction we all should emulate :icon_thumleft:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! It’s always exciting finding someone with the same interest in detecting as You have. Cool You’re sharing a spot too. That doesn’t happen often!! Good Luck to Your upcoming Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Su;re, sure, sure. But you hardlly eever get someone to get you within a mile of a super big cache or treasure.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So glad you are getting out and enjoying the hobby! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So glad you are getting out and enjoying the hobby! :occasion14:

Thanks, me too as I'm not getting any younger! :) Isn't that funny how that works, age that is? The older we get, the wiser we get... however, if that really is the case then why, oh why, do we get out and torture ourselves just to enjoy a hobby? [snicker]

Seriously though, I have put off a back surgery for as long as I can. It looks like I'm going to have to go have some work done. One thing about waiting this long to have anything done is technology has changed so much that my surgery is now Outpatient surgery. It wasn't very long ago that if you had any kind of back surgery you were down for a couple of months or more. My thinking on this was... I'm not going to have it done during Kayak and Fishing season, I'll get in done early winter. Winter starts creeping up and I start doing more and more detecting and I talk myself out of going in every time. Then, of course, there is the Rainy season... well, you can see where all this is going.

All is good though. I have decided that if my back will make it through Kayak / Fishing season that I will go have it done. Even though it's Outpatient surgery, I will be down and out for two weeks so that I can heal. I'm fairly certain that I can deal with that but, can my wife deal with "that". :) :)

Cheers.
-DH-

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! It’s always exciting finding someone with the same interest in detecting as You have. Cool You’re sharing a spot too. That doesn’t happen often!! Good Luck to Your upcoming Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks Digger!!
-DH-

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, me too as I'm not getting any younger! :) Isn't that funny how that works, age that is? The older we get, the wiser we get... however, if that really is the case then why, oh why, do we get out and torture ourselves just to enjoy a hobby? [snicker]

Seriously though, I have put off a back surgery for as long as I can. It looks like I'm going to have to go have some work done. One thing about waiting this long to have anything done is technology has changed so much that my surgery is now Outpatient surgery. It wasn't very long ago that if you had any kind of back surgery you were down for a couple of months or more. My thinking on this was... I'm not going to have it done during Kayak and Fishing season, I'll get in done early winter. Winter starts creeping up and I start doing more and more detecting and I talk myself out of going in every time. Then, of course, there is the Rainy season... well, you can see where all this is going.

All is good though. I have decided that if my back will make it through Kayak / Fishing season that I will go have it done. Even though it's Outpatient surgery, I will be down and out for two weeks so that I can heal. I'm fairly certain that I can deal with that but, can my wife deal with "that". :) :)

Cheers.
-DH-

I received some good news yesterday - I went to another surgeon for a second opinion regarding my back issues - and was told that I do not need surgery at this time. This one [surgeon] showed me my MRI and showed me places that need to be addressed. They are bad but, do not need to be "fixed" just yet. When I asked how long it would be before I needed to have something done, he told me it depended on how long I could stand the pain. Heck, I've been dealing with the increased pain for the last five (5) years and have been in pain for much longer than that. I'm hoping that I will be good until October of 2021.

I do have to be careful as another injury to my back would probably put me down for the count and would be cause for immediate surgery. I will be very careful not to do any more damage to my back this Kayak season. I will have to take a hiatus from deer hunting this year though.

Since things have become more crazy with the ongoing situation, I have had to postpone my CW hunt with my new found metal detecting buddy until mid-April or the first week in May. I think it is better to be safe than to be sorry.

Take care all and be safe.
-DH-

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my metal detecting activities have been put on hold for another 10 days due to the current situation. My travels have also been restricted over all this chaos. I'm gonna be going stir crazy not being able to get out and hunt but, doctor's orders are doctor's orders. %^$&#*@ !!

Apparently, no one can tell the difference between allergies, the common cold, or this virus!

Take care all and stay safe!
-DH-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread