Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a lot that seems to have had an old house on it once...people were parking there today to go to the local "farm"--sadly not much of a farm any more. Anyway, I dug this surprise! A fish! I thought it was just a piece of scrap lead until I wiped away some of the dirt and saw this thing looking back at me. The substrate metal is either lead or pewter and it's silver plated. It's quite heavy and is hollowed out to about 2" with a hole that's 5/16" in diameter. There is part of a pronounced lip on the metal extending out of the fish's mouth. This is one of the strangest relics I have found. Any ideas what it may have been used for and how old it is?

I also dug a set of binoculars (made in France) that are being cleaned. At another small park I unearthed a 1933 bathing tag for a local municipal pool and a 1955 dog license...neither is terribly old, but nice pieces of local history.

So what's the story with the fish???

Attachments

• Fish054.jpg
    Fish054.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 9

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. Just supports that you can never predict what you might find. Sorry I can't help you ID it.

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's REAL dirt fishin'! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Grant and DF! Anyone know what it might have been? I'm thinking that the fish may have been mounted vertically on a stand and been a holder for a silver plated pen or something. That's the only thing I can guess.

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it might be a casting plug that comes usually with fishing poles designed for kids to help them learn to cast. Just tie the lead fish on the end of the line and cast into the field until you get the hang of it!

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I don't think that is what this is...it's fairly heavily silver plated. I doubt they would silver plate a casting plug unless you were Thurston Howell III :laughing7: plus there is no place to tie fishing line to it. The hole goes over 2" deep into the fish and there's a lip around the entrance. Looks like where something would be inserted like a pen or something.

I think it might be a casting plug that comes usually with fishing poles designed for kids to help them learn to cast. Just tie the lead fish on the end of the line and cast into the field until you get the hang of it!

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
^ lol Nice find Erik, that's dirt Fishing all right!! I took the plunge and picked up an E-trac, gonna set up a test garden tomorrow and see how it goes.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What bait were ya using.....earth worms......sorry had to:smileinbox:

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I don't think that is what this is...it's fairly heavily silver plated. I doubt they would silver plate a casting plug unless you were Thurston Howell III :laughing7: plus there is no place to tie fishing line to it. The hole goes over 2" deep into the fish and there's a lip around the entrance. Looks like where something would be inserted like a pen or something.

Lol i realized you said it was silver plated after i already posted but thought ah well someone will call me on it! Just didn't think it was gonna be so hilarious when they did!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you have a sense of humor T-bone :) Casting plug was a creative guess, but alas this was a piece from a priviledged home since long gone...but I still can't get my mind off of Mary Anne & Ginger! LOL

Lol i realized you said it was silver plated after i already posted but thought ah well someone will call me on it! Just didn't think it was gonna be so hilarious when they did!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey buddy....so you passed on the CTX? Should have called me, (I would have hooked you up with Detector Depot for a great deal) I have one (and an eTrac).....let's go out hunting and compare signals soon. The eTrac is a great machine like all the Minelabs (congrats!)......if you need anything else call me or send me a PM. Best, Erik

^ lol Nice find Erik, that's dirt Fishing all right!! I took the plunge and picked up an E-trac, gonna set up a test garden tomorrow and see how it goes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey brother! I was using "silverfish" LOL :laughing7: ....... was a bit taken back when I wiped away the dirt and saw this silver fish staring back at me :)

What bait were ya using.....earth worms......sorry had to:smileinbox:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poor thing has fin rot...lol odd find

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks bud! Yea I passed for now on the CTX, I got an absolutely fantastic deal! Too good to pass up!! I'll fill ya in when we meet up!!

Hey buddy....so you passed on the CTX? Should have called me, (I would have hooked you up with Detector Depot for a great deal) I have one (and an eTrac).....let's go out hunting and compare signals soon. The eTrac is a great machine like all the Minelabs (congrats!)......if you need anything else call me or send me a PM. Best, Erik

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread