Finally did my first park hunt. And it paid off. That coin shooting is fun!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Met a guy in the gas station while getting my dose of caffeine in the a.m.. We got to talking, and it turned out he take's care of the fields and parks in a town close to me. I asked him if it was ok to metal detect the field's/parks in town, and he said sure. He said he's seen guy's out on the baseball field's. I'm thinking bummer, no virgin territory there. Then he said I could do his house, circa 1903, and he knew some farmer's in the area that might be willing to let me hunt. Cool, this day's starting out good.

So Saturday on the way back from my iron field's, I decided to stop at the baseball field's and give it a shot. 13 clad in a couple of hours. :icon_scratch: I thought he said he's seen guy's out here before?

Sunday morning while having my morning joe:coffee2:, I found an aerial photo of the field's from 1939. tnet39.jpg Brought up the current aerial photo from G. Earth, and studied them. Pot of coffee gone, time to hunt.

My finds with a 2 hour hunt Saturday and 5 hour hunt Sunday. use coins 2.jpg

Notable's:

1957 Rosie:headbang: (Was afraid I was going to get silver skunked in '17)
2-Wheats
1947 nickel
And an eyeball find 2000p Sacagawea . (Not sure if this is special. I do have the gold colored one in my coin folder.)

Here's the present aerial of the field's and where I found coins. pre field.jpg I only spent about 1 hour in the yellow area just to see if my research would pay off. Wanted to clear out the clad section before anyone else did:laughing7: Looks like my research might payoff. Will be in the yellow box today!

Hope your all out enjoying this great weather! At least in the Midwest.

Good Luck and thanks for looking!

Upvote 20

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You made a friend and a great assortment of finds! Good luck with your new sites!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great weekend! Always fun and informative to talk to the locals...when I'm out of town camping, I'll hang around and chug coffee at some of the few gas stations close by. I'll talk to the clerks..ask if there are any old schools or parks nearby. Sometimes they'll give me great information or sometimes they'll point to old farmer Joe and tell me to talk to him. I usually get somewhere decent to hunt while the family fight and bicker back at camp..lol..Ddf

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin shooting is a blast, glad to see you try it. I bet it sure was nice getting that monkey off your back when you pulled that silver Rosie. Fingers crossed that those future permissions hold more silvers for you.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin shooting is a blast, glad to see you try it. I bet it sure was nice getting that monkey off your back when you pulled that silver Rosie. Fingers crossed that those future permissions hold more silvers for you.

My fault not finding silver due to where I hunt which is usually farms. That coin shooting is a blast, and also I realized that after a couple years with my machine, I know more then I thought I did.

I have a thread on today of what I found. Crazy. All the silver and wheats, came from an area of about 10'x10'. :laughing7: It was like that little area, was a portal back in time:laughing7:

Tried your positive thinking . When I went out Saturday, all I really wanted was an IHC. Didn't get it, but got the next best thing. Still have to watch your recommendation on Netflix:thumbsup:

Fingers crossed here too. Thanks!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My fault not finding silver due to where I hunt which is usually farms. That coin shooting is a blast, and also I realized that after a couple years with my machine, I know more then I thought I did.

I have a thread on today of what I found. Crazy. All the silver and wheats, came from an area of about 10'x10'. :laughing7: It was like that little area, was a portal back in time:laughing7:

Tried your positive thinking . When I went out Saturday, all I really wanted was an IHC. Didn't get it, but got the next best thing. Still have to watch your recommendation on Netflix:thumbsup:

Fingers crossed here too. Thanks!

Dude, do some door knocking in the older parts of your local towns. Heck I've pulled an LC from a yard where the house was built in the 80's, it was on a slab and was next door to a house that was built in the mid 1800's. The majority of my keepers have come from permissions in town.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your research worked well for you... Nice going on the coin shooting and good luck on your next hunt..

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done, Digger! 🙌 Looks like those fields could yield a LOT more for u. If u need help (cough)...I'm just up in Lee. 😁

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virgin ground is great, enjoy it. Sounds like you had a great hunt.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You nailed it! Great finds. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the coin hunting! :occasion14:

Old coin shooting is a blast and the finds are usually awesome! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread