May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Sunny and 50 degrees hear in southeast NC so I headed out to an old standby colonial site that I have been hunting for the past 4 years. I've pulled close to 200 buttons, whole buckles and tons of buckle fragments and 3 colonial silvers before today. I have pounded this site over the years but it still gives up a couple keepers every time I go. I was trying out my newly upgraded T2 SE and running the sensitivity up at 90 with zero noise. I think I'm going to like this quiet running machine and especially being able to turn the iron audio down.

When I headed out today I was really not expecting much and would have been happy with a couple of buttons. I was wandering a plowed soybean field when I got a nice high tone. Dug down in the sandy soil about 10 inches and checked the plug but the signal was still in the hole. Stuck my pointer in and got a nice solid hit. Expecting a button I grabbed a handful of dirt and had it in my hand. Brushing the dirt away I see a shiny sliver of silver and I immediately think old pull tab but that would be very unusual on this site. My eyes quickly focus on the silver object and see a cross and immediately know what it is. I utter a string of words out loud that I can't repeat here but needless to say I'm very happy to have dug my first cob.

It's very worn but hopefully some of the resident cob experts can help with an ID and a range of dates for it.

Attachments

• IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 22
OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations Ken, that is an excellent find. Keep them coming.

Thanks Reed! I would love to keep more of these coming but I'm not counting on it. It's the hope that keeps us all swinging for that next one.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first cob!:headbang: The first one is usually the hardest. Don't be surprised if another follows soon. Glad to see that you got a positive ID, especially to the 17th century. On the side opposite the cross of Jerusalem, you can see the spelling for Spanish King - three letters - I think only the half-reales (perhaps quarter reales as well) bear such a design. Killer Find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread