Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Many of you may remember when Dan and I extricated this huge 20 lb glob of corroded iron from a massive entanglement of roots back before Thanksgiving. It was found on the steep banks of a ravine just above a spring stream adjacent to an early colonial site we'd been hunting. It's been undergoing electrolysis for about 2 months now, and I'll have to say it's been the most difficult iron preservation project I've undertaken. Due to the massive size and weight of the andiron the electrolysis process went very slow. About once a week I'd pull it out of the tank and carefully chip away at some of the corrosion using a hammer, screwdriver, wire brush, or even a dremel tool. It finally got to the point that I felt if I kept going any further it would start eating away at the base metal, so I decided to call it quits yesterday. After one last attempt to get as much of the rusty spots off as I could, I soaked liberally with WD-40 as I usually do and let it do its work for a bit. Then after thoroughly drying I applied 3 coats of clear polyurethane to complete the job. There are still some orange spots left, but I did all I could without starting to damage the artifact.

As I've stated before, the top of the piece depicts what appears to be the head of an Aztec, Incan or Egyptian queen with the facial details showing up nicely along with what appears to be some sort of headdress or crown on her head. Further down it looks like I can see folded arms along with some kind of large, decorative medallion below that. On the back you can see where the horizontal bar that supported the firewood was attached. Based on its huge size, it must have been used in a very large fireplace in the manor house we know existed somewhere on this site. A friend of mine who is an authority working for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation positively ID'd this as an upright from a colonial andiron, and not a boot jack as many on this forum originally thought. And it could date anywhere from the late 1600s to the late 1700s. Regardless, it's a very cool colonial piece, and I can now finally start the cleaning process on the backlog of other iron artifacts that have been waiting patiently in line.

The pics below show (hopefully in order) the andiron immediately after being recovered, in the process of being cleaned, and the final product.

andiron1a.jpg

Attachments

• andiron1.jpg
    andiron1.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 139
  • andiron2.jpg
    andiron2.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 138
  • andiron2a.jpg
    andiron2a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 136
  • andiron3.jpg
    andiron3.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 138
  • andiron4a.jpg
    andiron4a.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 168
  • andiron4b.jpg
    andiron4b.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 144
  • andiron4c.jpg
    andiron4c.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 139
  • andiron4d.jpg
    andiron4d.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Upvote 16

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good man...
Bill did you ever find anything more out about it ?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent preserving job Bill, THAT will look like a centerpiece relic for anybody's display...
Don

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It ended up looking quite nice. I'm impressed with your perseverance and dedication to saving what many would consider an old hunk of iron. I note too she has thighs like Earl Campbell. Great job, Bill!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good man...
Bill did you ever find anything more out about it ?

Nothing specific, but it definitely dates between the late 1600s and late 1700s. But based on many of the other finds coming from this site I'd have to lean toward the earlier part of that period.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great job, piece of art again, just a great save

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! I tried doing an image search using many different search term combinations and found nothing. Not that a lack of results means too much, but it would be pretty cool if this were a domestic colonial product with a very small production run. Given unlimited resources, an isotopic or trace element analysis of the metal might reveal the geographic source of the iron. I wonder how it would have been cast? Sand molds formed with a carved wood template?

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't believe two months has gone by so quickly! Probably didn't feel that way while you watched that piece, but it was worth it. Turned out pretty good.
In case folks don't think as much about these things. I was reading "The Entailed Hat", a book about Patty Cannon and the local slavers around my area. It has a lot of interesting historical insights. One which surprised me, was that Iron, which was relatively scarce, was a valuable commodity. Especially heavy pcs. like andirons were so valuable as recycled items that they were stolen from abandoned homes for barter. That probably makes them rarer than we might imagine.
Nice recovery.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool! Could have belonged to one of the founders at some point! :thumbsup:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its great to see you saved something many would have simply discarded as junk. Nice job! :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like a beautiful and totally unusual relic to make one's day. I really enjoyed seeing that piece post-electrolysis. Congrats, Bill!

-Buck

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Looks great Bill, nice work with E tank. Detail is still pretty incredible after all those years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread