Finally First Gold of 2010

helix-2000

Nov 28, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3; Minelab Excal 2; DFX 300
Took my Excal 2 out for its maiden trip and when I arrived at the section of the beach I normally work it was blocked off by local DPW. They were in the process of putting back all the winter sand from the parking lot back onto the beach. Went further up the beach line and went to a spot I have never had luck with using my White's detector but decided I need to see how the Excal works. After climbing over a lot of sand piles to get to the low tide mark I started searching. Found a quarter about 12 inches down and three feet away I found the gold ring about 8 inches down. I was so pumped to finally have found a gold ring. Spent about an hour on the beach finding some more coins, all were around 12-15 inches down and had been in the wet sand for quite some time given the looks of them. Still managed to find a lot of pull tabs, bottle tops and lobster pot pieces but all in all had a great time. Need to work more on pinpointing and recognizing good to dig sounds from the not so good sounds.

Attachments

• 041410 Finds.jpg
    041410 Finds.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 439
Upvote 0

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Great job finding the Wedding band!....just a word of advice with the Excalibur when hunting in Discriminate on the beach....Because gold can read all over the scale...if it doesn't null and gives you a signal....DIG IT !! Oh and keep your disc all the way to minimum.....Good Luck with your new machine !!

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Big congrats on your 1st gold! Another Excal tip that is sometimes useful is to hunt in pinpoint or all-metal mode. You will get more depth that way. You can switch in discrimination mode after detecting the target to see if it 'nulls' and indicates iron below your coil. This is a reasonable strategy if targets are few and far between and/or unusually deep. - Jim :thumbsup:

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Great Job on the gold :icon_thumleft: It is so much easier for me to metal detect when I find gold in the beginning of the hunt....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread