Finally found a 43 steel cent

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found a '43 steel cent

After many years of CRHing and sifting through probably $8000 in cents, I finally saw a '43 steel cent drop out of a roll. I never would have thought it col have taken so long to find something so seemingly common. Maybe I've missed a few over the years. Have any of you guys also found the war cent to be strangely elusive, or is it just my random luck?

My remaining penny quest is an Indian head cent, tho that seems like it's a hen's tooth for everyone. I've also never found a '50 D nickel, even though I've searched through perhaps $25K of nickels over the duration and it seems like other hunters find them every few years.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Nice finds Dodeskaden!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
They are so elusive because they stick on the magnets coin machines have for rejecting foreign coins. I get the rejects, and have found several 1943s this way.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the reason you don't find them is because most coin counters have a central magnet(s) that pick up and weed out all magnetic change(canadian, usually). Unfortunately, the US steel cent is the only coin from the US that is magnetic, so those get weeded out as welll. I am sure coin counting facilities also have a series of very powerful magnets as well.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found one war cent, 1 1950D Jefferson and I think 4 Indian heads.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
No war cent and no Indian head for me. However i did find my first 1950- D about three weeks ago and my first v nickel on Sunday.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a steel cent in my friends jar of change. He had just dumped them at the coin star and it was rejected with a few clad quarters and dimes.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up 25 of them at an Arbys. I got several back in my change and asked the cashier if she had any others. She thought they were fake, I bought the rest of them for a quarter and gave the workers a history lesson.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found only one steelie from hundreds of bank boxes and only one from numerous CWRs. But I got more than 10 (including 43P,D,S)from coin counting magnets after I get acquinted with tellers.

OP
OP
D

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never put it together that magnets were getting them before they got to me. Mystery solved. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread