Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been a season I've never seen the likes of for many years. Between health issues (back and neck problems), weather, winter wheat planted everywhere, uncooperative landowners, unproductive sites, etc, it's been extremely slow. Since early Oct I've only been out 4-5 times for mostly for half day hunts with Dan which is a small fraction of my usual swing time. Yesterday we walked a few new fields to see if we could stumble across any house sites, and 2 of them produced a few CW era finds plus a smattering of colonial. Near the end of searching one of the sites I came across a strong, shallow hit that I didn't think would be much of anything. But I was quite surprised when a nice little lined block I button popped out. That got the adrenaline flowing a bit, but soon we found ourselves moving on to another site we'd hit previously that contained a large iron patch and that had given up a few of the colonial finds we normally seek. I dug some buttons and buckle pieces, and also dug what appeared to be a folded silver coin. It certainly was reading in that range although no details could be seen. Once home I had a very difficult time prying it open, but after doing that I still couldn't tell what it was. It's the identical diameter and thickness of a half reale as can be seen in the comparison photo below, but there's no way to verify that's what it actually is. Also, what I though was a piece of aluminum trash turned out to be part of an 1857 half dime. In the last pic is another silver item I dug during the last trip to this site but never posted. Sadly to say, that's probably my best find of the season. Hopefully things will start looking up as we have a few prospects on the horizon.

Attachments

• 011417a.jpg
    011417a.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 011417b.jpg
    011417b.jpg
    708 KB · Views: 132
  • 011417c.jpg
    011417c.jpg
    846.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 011417d.jpg
    011417d.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 011417e.jpg
    011417e.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 128
  • 011417f.jpg
    011417f.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 127
  • 011417g.jpg
    011417g.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 26
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very productive hunt! :occasion14: The half dime and possible 1/2 real are nice finds in any condition.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Not bad at all Bill. A little silver and a nice CS button makes for a good start to the year. Glad you guys were able to get into a few sites.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still nice to be digging Bill and getting a couple pieces of silver, also the I button. Hope that you're over the health issues as its a drag not to be feeling top notch.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get some rest this winter, and be healthy and ready for a solid 2017.....
That little heart is awesome.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of great finds there!!! take it easy and enjoy!!!!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Still nice to be digging Bill and getting a couple pieces of silver, also the I button. Hope that you're over the health issues as its a drag not to be feeling top notch.

Thanks man. My main issue is that I have 4 partially bulging discs in my neck from an old basketball injury 30+ years ago. And walking around for hours with your head staring at the ground is starting to take its toll. That's why I've been limiting myself to mostly half day hunts. Bummer getting old ....

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good little selection.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its really great to see you getting out there and swinging Bill. You got a nice variety and the infantry button looks awesome man. That half dime looks like it was torn or broken... very interesting break on that one. I like that you unrolled the silver too and I wish you could get an ID and +1 to your colonial silver count. Hope you can get out again soon and pull out some more keepers. I always enjoy your posts.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment.
Love the Block I.
Certainly looks like a silver coin, but way too rough to call a definite ID.
Would love to know what happened to that seated dime.
Last week i had a cold and it had me coughing a lot, which caused me to pull a muscle in my back, and then I twisted my knee wrong a couple days later only to aggrevate an old trick knee injury. The cold is about gone. The knee is better, but the back still isnt right.
Keep your head up. :-) More good permissions and finds will come.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds Bill. Sometimes condition doesn't always work in our favor but I would love to have any one of those. Nice buckle. I may have an identical one but need to check. I'll send it to you bud.

Anyway, cheers and great sigs

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you out there digging Bill. Congrats on the Block I and I love the engraved silver heart.

I dug a lot of those Hoyt Perfume bottles back in my bottle digging days.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
We have missed you. I hope that you start to feel better, and the can hunt more.

Congrats on all of the goodies. The I button and silver brooch are my favorites.

GL!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't be happier to see my good buddy out doing what he loves. I see you haven't lost your touch pal. Lots of silver and a killer button. Great job Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread