Finally Found a Hotspot! Barber, V-nickel, IH,silver,etc,etc..

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
In nearly anything you do, it seems there comes a point where you have a personal epiphany, and everything starts to make sense. I"m almost embarrassed to say it, but it took me nearly four years to arrive at that point. This week I learned several things through trial and error, and the things you arrive at on your own are the ones that really sink in. I have been watching this spot for a few months, and knew it had been a store from the late 1800's until the last few years, when a fire finally brought the building down. I secured permission to hit the spot and a quick walkover led me to believe it really held some promise. I found out real quick that the amount of nails were playing havoc on my standard coil and the finds were no where near what I suspected to be there. I switched to the 4" coil and slowed way down, and coins started popping up everywhere. To make a long story short, I made several first finds for me this week including a Barber dime, 1883 V-nickel, and a Buffalo nickel. (The Barber and Buff are still getting cleaned and I can't read the date yet.) Because of the amount of time this building was occupied, I found everything from 1800's coins all the way to modern clad, it's really been a treat. Here's the pics:

100_0335.jpg

These are not cleaned, but the top left is a Merc., then a Barber dime, and a Buffalo nickel. On the bottom is the 1883 V-nickel, a silver Wasington, and a 1890 Indian.

100_0338.jpg

Here's part of the Wheaties from the site, I found around 18 total.
100_0339.jpg

And some of the buttons,marbles, and smaller brass/copper items that made the trip home. HH! -- Red

Upvote 0

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finally Found a Hotspot!

Congrats on the finds and new hot spot!! I'm a newbie to this so it's good to see that patience and persistence will pay off... :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah , Nice oldies there ! I've been learning about matching coils to each site very deliberately , reading posts on

this site , has been terrific for the learning curve. Argentium.

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Truly Amazing Find! Bet you were doing the Happy Dance!

Congratulations! I know you are flying high! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
redlined

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used

I really love the bigger coil for my MXT, but when I ran into all those nails; they were so numerous they were masking the coins I knew to be there. That was the first real workout I had given that little DD coil, and I must say I'm a believer in them in super-trashy areas now!

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds! hope there is more waiting for you there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep it up

OP
OP
redlined

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used

coltdavis said:
Awesome finds! hope there is more waiting for you there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: keep it up

That's the funny thing, I went back today thinking I might find a coin or two, since I had already been over it. To my total surprise, I found 14 coins in three hours! I went right over the exact same spots from a different angle and they just kept popping up, so I'm certain there's still some more to be found........

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congratz on your new spot and the nice coins that have come with it ... continued good luck on your next hunt ~ Jimmy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heck Yes! You deserve to find a great spot like this, and I'm sure there will be more to be found. With so many nails, coins may read in only one direction--so make sure you grid the area in several different directions and dig the iffy ones. Nice work on the research, getting permission, and modifying your hunting strategies so that you could make the great finds. :thumbsup:

Well done, my friend!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
hit while it's hot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread