FINALLY found a sizeable piece of gold ore!

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this ore on a bench of a river so it cld have been brought by glaciers. I crushed and panned a small sample abt the size of a dime to confirm.

Could anyone help identify what the ore constituents are?

IMG_20180311_133114.jpg

IMG_20180311_133142.jpg

IMG_20180311_132836.jpg

IMG_20180311_132905.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesnt really look like much quartz if any to me...not a vein material but more disseminated?

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would need an assay to figure out what the associated "constituents" are for sure. Could be tellurides or sulfides, very hard to tell. From the middle pic, I might see some copper related ores? But it is just too hard to tell IMO. An assay will be a definite answer for you. It looks promising to me though!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your opinion zim! Do u have any idea what the host rock is? Maybe a limestone? Any guesses?

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your opinion zim! Do u have any idea what the host rock is? Maybe a limestone? Any guesses?
It doesn't look like limestone, that's why I said a telluride or sulfide, which would be a number of minerals that really could only be identified by using an assay, because there are too many minerals mixed together so to speak to tell one dominate mineral. I don't know if that is the right way to explain it, but I hope that makes sense lol! Because, there could be magnatite, feldspar, bornite, calcopyrite, etc, etc, etc, all kinds of minerals in a mix. It is just too hard of a thing to be able to peg down, so an assayer will be able to analyze it, and tell if there is enough of the "target" mineral, I.E. gold silver, or "other" for it to be viable to mine. This can be good even for a hobby miner like myself! And why I have had a few ores I have found assayed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't be getting an assay done because this guy here is a lone ranger. I think it was brought down from canada during ice age. Just gonna keep it as a specimen but I thought helping know what kind of host rock it is I could better find some more if theres any :)

I'm directly below lake erie if anyone has any knowledge of canadian gold ores above lake erie. Maybe could help with type of deposit.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking at the leavings in the pan I'd guess quartz, pyrite and ironstone. Cool find not often someone brings up glacier gold.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking at the leavings in the pan I'd guess quartz, pyrite and ironstone. Cool find not often someone brings up glacier gold.

Thanks dancer! Thats the only speculation I could have for it unless I dug the hillside out til I hit rock to see what was there. Thats a lot of work though, so I'm just gonna go with the glacial deposit!

ZIM - what makes you think tellurides? there is a mineral in this rock that has a platy appearance so I'll get some close ups and tell me what you think

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dancer! Thats the only speculation I could have for it unless I dug the hillside out til I hit rock to see what was there. Thats a lot of work though, so I'm just gonna go with the glacial deposit!

ZIM - what makes you think tellurides? there is a mineral in this rock that has a platy appearance so I'll get some close ups and tell me what you think
It's just a guess! I was kind of going by what it looks like compared to what I have seen come out of mines here where I live. Telluriddes are complicated mixtures of minerals, and your pick looks like the stone has A LOT of different minerals in it. I've said it before though, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I read a lot and have many friends who have mined professionally as well as friends at the Montana Tech, specifically at the Mineral museum. It reminds me of tellurides I have seen from Golden Sunlight mine and from the Jefferson mining district. The black in the stone could also mean there is magnesium minerals, which I believe oxidizes black? Could be mistaken on that one. At any rate, like I say, it's just a guess!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the quartz in it now that im zoomed in and i think the oxidation dusts knocked off to reveal the quartz under the orange/yellow

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread