Finally found George Washington.......after all these years!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the last 12 to 13 years relic hunting has been one of my favorite things to do when I have some spare time…With plenty of great finds over those years and a number of items scratched from the ( Items to find list) I finally found what I consider one of the Holy Grail Relics in the hobby of metal Detecting!!
While detecting during the Spring Brothers & Others 2010 Hunt I did find one of those hard to find items and it was a moment to remember…..but before I get in to all the details , I would like to thank Lance for inviting me once again …..to join them this spring for there great hunts! With Rick (lances brother) and Dave a good friend of Lance……The four of us set out each day in the quest of finding some early colonial coins and relics.
During the last month came the final touches on the planning that is involved in the spring hunt as well as the fall hunt. The week long event is always a challenge, but the weather this spring has been spectacular….I left Wednesday morning and when I started the drive I received a call from Lance, he said that during the night they had a rare snow fall for this time of the season. I thought he was kidding….Well after a few hours I thought he was pulling my leg, I was wrong. After 8 hours into the drive I arrived in his neck of the woods here in Vermont and as you can see…….

P2280031 Large e-mail view.jpg

The snow was coming down and only miles from his town the snow was at least 10 or more inches deep in a number of areas…..Now living in western NY, I have seen plenty of snow but this year happend to be very mild with minimal snow falls. I haven’t seen snow in 2 and a half months until that Wednesday drive…but over the next couple of days and the temperatures reaching in the upper 70’s and with the wind it was gone as fast as it fell…….

Starting that first day of hunting (Thursday) we were in a corn field with still snow in it and it was melting fast with the winds and warm temps….we hunted and have been finding some nice relics…..I finally found a clad quarter for my first find, then a large caliber musket ball….moments later I pulled out what we call a smiley (large Colonial Button)….they always seem to bring a smile to your face…with Lance close by I walked over to show him and brushed it off slightly with the old tooth brush and we could not see anything on it at that time…..Moving on to another field across town I pulled out a early colonial KG copper that was barely readable….and moments later in the same area a flat button and a Spanish half Reale..1871 with a number of scratches on it…As the day was getting late we headed back to the house and began cleaning the finds for the day….As most of us know when we get into cleaning our Relics sometimes there are surprises, and on this day after cleaning my large colonial button I starting to get a big smile when I seen the starburst on top of my large button and turned to lance who was in the kitchen and said ( you have to see this) tell me it is….! He couldn’t believe it, I definitely couldn’t believe it……GEORGE WASHINGTON BUTTON…..After not seeing any detail on it in the field, we seen what you see after we slightly brushed off all the corrosion and revealed that beautiful bird and exposing my first GW Button

P3050118 Medium Web view.jpg
000_0503001703 Small Web view.jpg

…..I was happy like a pig in s---! Still happy …..This was only day one…..We were all enjoying the moment one that will always be remembered.

Now with day two among us and plenty of excitement in the air we started out detecting around some great cellar holes and finding the normal home site Relics…..Each day the four of us were having a great time….some cellar holes gave up some nice stuff and others gave up nothing but a few pieces of iron….Day 3 turned out to be another great day we started out in the corn field where I found the GW Button and found some silver coins along with some flat buttons…..buy lunch Lance , Rick and Dave all found some nice finds….I’m not going to talk about there finds , there are definitely worth talking about later on.. I’m sure in the near future you will be reading about their fantastic finds and there story about this years Brothers & Others spring 2010 hunt…..

After eating lunch and checking our finds we made our way to a home that was from the very early 1800’s and used to be used as a hotel , it is still lived in today…After talking to the owners and discussing a few details about the property. We made our way out in to the pasture and fields……A couple hours later I seen Lance call to Dave and I . He was tell us to come up to the top of the hill( where the old road not being used existed)…when we got to the top Lance and Rick found an early Colonial home site and I mean early…..What they found was amazing, but what I found is what I’m going to talk about. Over the next couple of hours out popped Buttons, Colonial coins and the relics to come with them….King George Copper 1740, Massachusetts Copper a Connecticut copper and a 1781- I Reale….

P3110045 Large e-mail view.jpg

P3110035 Large e-mail view.jpg

P3110037 Large e-mail view.jpg

The early (LG) Colonial buttons with nice patterns detailed by hand….were in great condition all with the shanks intact….No more GW’s thought. Lol

P3100026 Large e-mail view.jpg

The site is turning out to be one of those sites you wish everyone could find and detecting and hope they come along in your searches more than once……But the reality is they are hard to find but they are not impossible….with research and a little luck you can stumble upon something as early as this one and let the fun begin…..

P3110004 Medium Web view.jpg

P3100009 Large e-mail view.jpg

P3100030 Large e-mail view.jpg

With the George Washington , Colonial Coins and the large buttons came some relics that get passed over…this 18th Century 2 prong fork and pewter spoon still intact make for great additions to any Colonial Time period collection….

P3100024 Large e-mail view.jpg

Early Pottery chards found at the site …..

P3100032 Medium Web view.jpg

This whole weekend turned to be one of the best for all of us detecting….Again I want to thank Lance and his wonderful wife and their hospitality, Rick and Dave as they always make this hunting adventure fun , competitive and an experience that will always remember……..Enjoy !!!

Thanks John W.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Super Post and Amazing finds :notworthy: I think the BANNER might be busy this week :icon_thumleft:

SS

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
What a great hunt !! You have my BANNER vote on the Chicken Button :headbang:
The Silver adds up to a truly awsome recovery.

VPR

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great post, awesome finds. What a week of detecting. Congrats on the GW button goodjob.gif

Attachments

• goodjob.gif
    goodjob.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,504
OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the better pic of George not the side ways one....don't hurt your neck while looking at it......hahahah

Keep on Digging ! John

Attachments

• 000_0503001703 Large e-mail view Large e-mail view Medium Web view.jpg
    000_0503001703 Large e-mail view Large e-mail view Medium Web view.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,499

DetectoDude

May 2, 2004
So. Ca.
I do agree it is a genuine CHICKEN button!(John you know what I mean!). Great find I think a banner posting will be in order. Nice story, I hope you have many more to come, Rick.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first GW! Some great finds there. Banner!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. You got my vote for the banner! :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hunt! :thumbsup: I'd say nice find on the button but my detector tells me these days I'm a coin hunter. So nice reale. ;D

I do like surprises like that though!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. :icon_thumright: Are the other guys going to post their finds.... if what you found are any indication, the collection from the other guys should be impressive as well!

Congrats! :hello2: :headbang: :notworthy:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first GW! That road looks like part of Route 7.......Is it? My sister lives in Bennington, thats why I asked. Hogge :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Congratulations on your first GW! That road looks like part of Route 7.......Is it? My sister lives in Bennington, thats why I asked. Hogge :headbang:

In other words..... I'm gonna steal me that site and git me sum a dat! ;D

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow ! now that's a dream hunt right there! awesome trip and some sweeeet finds!
dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread