finally found some hunting spots but need help?

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like your gonna be doing alot of digging try turning the sensitivity down

OP
OP
hamer81

hamer81

Aug 29, 2012
It was goin crazy saying bout 6 to 8 in. Deep I keep digging an digging but never found anything. I turn the discrimination up an it quit goin crazy. Did find a few old shotgun gun shells bout 4in. I can't figure out for the life of me why it was goin crazy I even turnded sensitivity down but was didn't help. Any ideas of what was goin on?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get the metal out of the way, it will make things so much more interesting. and you will get an idea of what was there...I

OP
OP
hamer81

hamer81

Aug 29, 2012
I guess that its possible it was an old junk pile at 1 time or other we do have a lot of those around the area, but after diggin bout 10 in. I never found anything has me a lil confused

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea my MD's do the same thing to me at times. Last December I was detecting in our front yard got exactly that said 4" but,,, nothing there, so thought,, aw screw it. Got out the big shovels and went for it. At three feet I found a big thick (thankfully) rusty pipe. Turns out it was the neighbors sewer pipe running though our yard. I guess our depth calculations are based on metal the size of coins so, when something more substantial turns up it may give the wrong depth. It may be a pipe or junk then it may even be a buried cache. I think it may be big and deep... Good luck mate .. haha just be care full of buried power cables :).. Good Luck :)

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dig man you got2dig! That has happen to most md's it may very well be your sittings that was what my prob was.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's only a small area that is giving you fits, maybe you should try to find a spot in the old field that is more quiet. It could be lots of small iron, and that's not easy to hunt. Don't descriminate too much, you lose depth and you can miss some relics.

Try turning down the sensitivity a notch or two until it gets quiet. Also, if you have a frequency adjustment on the detector, try that. Could be lots of small iron junk and maybe EMI.

It's going to take practice, patience and persistance to learn the detector. Take some baby steps first by moving to an area that is easier to hunt...

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's only a small area that is giving you fits, maybe you should try to find a spot in the old field that is more quiet. It could be lots of small iron, and that's not easy to hunt. Don't descriminate too much, you lose depth and you can miss some relics.

Try turning down the sensitivity a notch or two until it gets quiet. Also, if you have a frequency adjustment on the detector, try that. Could be lots of small iron junk and maybe EMI.

It's going to take practice, patience and persistance to learn the detector. Take some baby steps first by moving to an area that is easier to hunt...

Yep been there done that. Take your time.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And sometimes you just have to dig down like they said and find that pipe or car part. Drives you crazy but I always hate to walk away from a target. Just depends upon what else is coming out of the ground. A stand of cedars close together may only be 15 years old. Large cedars can be hundreds of years old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread