Finally found the lost dock! 7 Silvers in one hour!

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This month I began the search for the location of a long lost dock that existed up until the mid 1930's. I had read about this place several times and only had a few clues to go by. It was a popular place during the first quarter of the 1900's and oral history spoke fondly of it. Kids jumping off the dock and swimming all summer long. I had about a quarter mile stretch of possibilities and managed to narrow it down to an area about the length of a football field, thanks to personal communication with some old timers. The area is tricky because it is now only accessible during negative tides, so I've only had two previous failed attempts to try and find it.

Today's low tide corresponded with lunchtime, so I decided to give it another shot. I hiked down to the area, this time overshooting my previous attempts by about 50 yards. I got a nice sharp high tone with the Equinox and was thinking no way it is a silver. I was wrong:

Dock-1.jpg

Dock-0.jpg

And then it started happening. I kept hitting silvers.

Dock-3.jpg

Dock-2.jpg

Most were at or just below the surface. Here's a 1927 SLQ surface find:

Dock-4.jpg

And then I found confirmation of the dock. I forgot to take a photo, but I found the stubs of the supports, which are now level with the ground and almost impossible to see unless you step on them. I FOUND THE DOCK! By this time the tide was coming in and I had an appointment to get to. 7 silvers, one hour. They are ugly, but I don't care:

Dock-6.jpg

Now imagine my excitement to go back and dig all non ferrous there. There has to be many more coins and all the other goodies people dropped during those times... HH!

Last edited:
Upvote 76

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't add more than all the congratulations you have received, but I do want to extend the appreciation for your research and tracking this site down. It's the spirit of true treasure hunting, and beyond just blind-swinging some open field. Your finds are all the more exciting because of how they came to be, not just what they are. Excellent post - thank and congrats!
Cheers mate! :occasion14:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome research

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some impressive finds in a short hunt. Great job in tracking them down and keep posting further finds. Congrats and good luck Echoplex.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome search and finds. The coins look great to me! [emoji2][emoji106]

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Asking questions, research, putting in the hard work and you made it happen. Congratulations buddy it would take me 6 months to get 6 silvers. Good job now tell me exactly where it’s at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread