finally got out

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Finally got a chance to get out with my BGT. Back to back weekends with 2 different gold clubs at Bear River private camp ground. Only had 1 full day each weekend as I had to get home on sunday. Last weekend after a few hours of not finding anything I found a great spot to set up the BGT. It was in the middle of the river ( but only knee deep ). I started sampling close by and found a spot around some medium size boulders. I moved some out of the way and started sampling. Could not believe what I was finding. The most black sand I have ever seen. Including a layer of orange with it. My shovel was coming up full of black sand. All my sample pans had gold. 5 to 10 flakes in each. If you know the Bear you know it is all small flakes. My sample pans I had a hard time panning becouse of to much black sand ( is that possible ? ) the gold flakes were at times sitting on top of the sand and not getting to the bottom. So I started just panning down part way and then pouring it into a smaller 1 gallon bucket.
That night at the pot luck dinner I did not want to tell anyone what I found cuz I was leaving in the morning and they would be there till Tuesday and I was coming back this weekend. I felt bad about lying about not finding much but I did not want anybody checking out my spot.
This weekend I went back to my spot and took up where I left off. Moved some more boulders around and again more black sand in every shovel. Sample pans showed as much gold as last weekend. Worked it all day Saturday. Besides the BGT clean out I also took home both days a full 5 gal bucket classified to 1/4 in plus my 1 gal bucket of mostly panned down samples. With all the black sand I can only pan about a few table spoons at a time. This will keep me and my son with something to do all winter.
This morning before we left I told a friend of mine from the club what I was finding and where since I probably won't be back till this time next year.
This after noon I panned out yesterdays BGT cons ( pic below ). More gold than my last 5 outings combined. And I have SO much more to pan. Un fing believable
Sorry this so long.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141012_200318.png
    ForumRunner_20141012_200318.png
    157 KB · Views: 131
  • ForumRunner_20141012_200506.png
    ForumRunner_20141012_200506.png
    236 KB · Views: 124

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally got a chance to get out with my BGT. Back to back weekends with 2 different gold clubs at Bear River private camp ground. Only had 1 full day each weekend as I had to get home on sunday. Last weekend after a few hours of not finding anything I found a great spot to set up the BGT. It was in the middle of the river ( but only knee deep ). I started sampling close by and found a spot around some medium size boulders. I moved some out of the way and started sampling. Could not believe what I was finding. The most black sand I have ever seen. Including a layer of orange with it. My shovel was coming up full of black sand. All my sample pans had gold. 5 to 10 flakes in each. If you know the Bear you know it is all small flakes. My sample pans I had a hard time panning becouse of to much black sand ( is that possible ? ) the gold flakes were at times sitting on top of the sand and not getting to the bottom. So I started just panning down part way and then pouring it into a smaller 1 gallon bucket. That night at the pot luck dinner I did not want to tell anyone what I found cuz I was leaving in the morning and they would be there till Tuesday and I was coming back this weekend. I felt bad about lying about not finding much but I did not want anybody checking out my spot. This weekend I went back to my spot and took up where I left off. Moved some more boulders around and again more black sand in every shovel. Sample pans showed as much gold as last weekend. Worked it all day Saturday. Besides the BGT clean out I also took home both days a full 5 gal bucket classified to 1/4 in plus my 1 gal bucket of mostly panned down samples. With all the black sand I can only pan about a few table spoons at a time. This will keep me and my son with something to do all winter. This morning before we left I told a friend of mine from the club what I was finding and where since I probably won't be back till this time next year. This after noon I panned out yesterdays BGT cons ( pic below ). More gold than my last 5 outings combined. And I have SO much more to pan. Un fing believable Sorry this so long.

Awesome color NCSteve! Glad the Bear offered some gold the second time around

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally got a chance to get out with my BGT. Back to back weekends with 2 different gold clubs at Bear River private camp ground. Only had 1 full day each weekend as I had to get home on sunday. Last weekend after a few hours of not finding anything I found a great spot to set up the BGT. It was in the middle of the river ( but only knee deep ). I started sampling close by and found a spot around some medium size boulders. I moved some out of the way and started sampling. Could not believe what I was finding. The most black sand I have ever seen. Including a layer of orange with it. My shovel was coming up full of black sand. All my sample pans had gold. 5 to 10 flakes in each. If you know the Bear you know it is all small flakes. My sample pans I had a hard time panning becouse of to much black sand ( is that possible ? ) the gold flakes were at times sitting on top of the sand and not getting to the bottom. So I started just panning down part way and then pouring it into a smaller 1 gallon bucket. That night at the pot luck dinner I did not want to tell anyone what I found cuz I was leaving in the morning and they would be there till Tuesday and I was coming back this weekend. I felt bad about lying about not finding much but I did not want anybody checking out my spot. This weekend I went back to my spot and took up where I left off. Moved some more boulders around and again more black sand in every shovel. Sample pans showed as much gold as last weekend. Worked it all day Saturday. Besides the BGT clean out I also took home both days a full 5 gal bucket classified to 1/4 in plus my 1 gal bucket of mostly panned down samples. With all the black sand I can only pan about a few table spoons at a time. This will keep me and my son with something to do all winter. This morning before we left I told a friend of mine from the club what I was finding and where since I probably won't be back till this time next year. This after noon I panned out yesterdays BGT cons ( pic below ). More gold than my last 5 outings combined. And I have SO much more to pan. Un fing believable Sorry this so long.
that is some great color from one cleanout?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice gold, next time try to get a guy or two extra to help put material through and then split it up.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice color Steve!!!

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Nice color Steve!!!

Thanks,
Im pretty stoked about what i have found so far. It might be months till I find out just how good it was. A lot to pan out and so much black sand I can only do a little at a time. I Do not have a blue bowl or a miller table. Is it possable to have too much black sand?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have had too much black sand after clean out on a couple occasions. Just split the cons up into a couple or a few pans. It can get ungainly trying to pan half a pan full of black sand.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We recently had the same problem with lots of black sand and color riding in it from top to bottom. The solution was Goldwasher with his small mesh classifiers and portable blue bowl setup. Made short work of it. About two cold ones and the deal was done.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We recently had the same problem with lots of black sand and color riding in it from top to bottom. The solution was Goldwasher with his small mesh classifiers and portable blue bowl setup. Made short work of it. About two cold ones and the deal was done.
nice time measurement approach!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
30, 50 and 100 nested mesh screens are about the best thing since sliced bread to help one recover gold of those sizes. Each step reduces size by about half and when gold is about equal size with the other material then it is relatively easy to pan, blue bowl, miller table, etc. by batch. With these you get four different sizes, plus 30, plus 50 and plus and minus 100. If you are not finding gold in some of those batch sizes then save them for a rainy day. I like the 4 or 6" screens that are available online or maybe at a local prospecting store.

PS Some like to use magnets to reduce volume of black sand but I would not use them until I had already processed them at least once as above especially for sizes below 50 mesh.
Good luck.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
30, 50 and 100 nested mesh screens are about the best thing since sliced bread to help one recover gold of those sizes. Each step reduces size by about half and when gold is about equal size with the other material then it is relatively easy to pan, blue bowl, miller table, etc. by batch. With these you get four different sizes, plus 30, plus 50 and plus and minus 100. If you are not finding gold in some of those batch sizes then save them for a rainy day. I like the 4 or 6" screens that are available online or maybe at a local prospecting store. PS Some like to use magnets to reduce volume of black sand but I would not use them until I had already processed them at least once as above especially for sizes below 50 mesh. Good luck.

Yes! This! (Although my area has a LOT of iron sand so magnets are important...a local issue)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread