DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been getting soaked in this part of Va for the last couple weeks or so. Finally caught a two day break, just enough time to turn the dirt without it being a muddy mess. Put some tomato plants, onion's , bell pepper's and a few egg plant's in. I still need to go back to the nursery and get some jalapeno and banana pepper plants. I am glad we caught this two day break because I think they are calling for around three inch's of rain starting tonight thorough Monday. Still got some planting to do but got the majority of it in anyway. Very late start and hoping everything produces well and can have a good update. Happy hunting out there! 002.JPG 003.JPG

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah we have most of our garden planted also....hard to beat fresh from the garden versus store bought crap.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah we have most of our garden planted also....hard to beat fresh from the garden versus store bought crap.

Regards + HH

Bill
I agree. And even though some of the vegetables that come from the store are gargantuan , looking like they where grown in the land of the lost are something, they just don't have that good home grown flavor. Not to mention expensive.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well then, we're proud of you. When they're ready send them down to Texas and we'll share. That way I won't have to eat grown in Mexico veggies that both the farmer and his mule have peed on. Crap is right...

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been dealing with the same thing here in Minnesota. Days of rain, then hot, then more rain. So the ground has either been too wet to dig or dust in your hands. Working on getting my plants in this weekend because it's going to rain most of next week. Hasn't been the greatest for detecting either.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then, we're proud of you. When they're ready send them down to Texas and we'll share. That way I won't have to eat grown in Mexico veggies that both the farmer and his mule have peed on. Crap is right...
Come on man,can't be that bad. Will send some out with the next coyote that heads your way. Do you like tomatoes?

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been dealing with the same thing here in Minnesota. Days of rain, then hot, then more rain. So the ground has either been too wet to dig or dust in your hands. Working on getting my plants in this weekend because it's going to rain most of next week. Hasn't been the greatest for detecting either.
We have been soaked here for what seems like a month. The weather here has been pretty mild though. I hope it last but will probably get hot and dry like it usually does and not gat a lick of rain when we really need it. Hope your garden turns out well for you.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that corner garden next to the woods, you don't have trouble with deer?
Here in lower Mich we have to have an eight-foot fence around anything edible!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your plot looks great and good luck with your harvesting your bounty!
It's about too hot down here, now, and I can't plow up the yard, we sit on top of coral rock, hard to dig in rock. I have a small area I am utilizing, to regrow my grocery store food.

I need to get my herbs in, but me and my neighbor have been re-using our grocery store veggies, to regrow food.
We have small amounts of green onion, regular onion, garlic, and celery going.
There's a lot of things from the grocery store you can replant, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, radishes, sweet potatoes, almost any pea or bean that you can germinate. SisIL has a bunch of cabbage and pineapples, LOL.

My husband recently reminded me, when I said I want us a little garden,
"Remember Cat, you'll starve to death, before you can grow enough to survive on". :BangHead: :laughing7:

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that corner garden next to the woods, you don't have trouble with deer?
Here in lower Mich we have to have an eight-foot fence around anything edible!
They use to give me trouble. A couple years ago I started hammering stakes in the ground around the garden. Took some old rags and dowsed them with cheap colone, and tacked them on the stakes. Seem's to work! Haven't had any problem with deer since. Them damn groundhogs are what give me the most problem. Might have to put up a fence myself before it's over with.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your plot looks great and good luck with your harvesting your bounty!
It's about too hot down here, now, and I can't plow up the yard, we sit on top of coral rock, hard to dig in rock. I have a small area I am utilizing, to regrow my grocery store food.

I need to get my herbs in, but me and my neighbor have been re-using our grocery store veggies, to regrow food.
We have small amounts of green onion, regular onion, garlic, and celery going.
There's a lot of things from the grocery store you can replant, carrots, cabbage, lettuce, radishes, sweet potatoes, almost any pea or bean that you can germinate. SisIL has a bunch of cabbage and pineapples, LOL.

My husband recently reminded me, when I said I want us a little garden,
"Remember Cat, you'll starve to death, before you can grow enough to survive on". :BangHead: :laughing7:
Thank's. Sounds like you know allot about growing. I am still somewhat of a amateur but usually get a good harvest depending on the weather. Except for the sweet potatoes,I didn't know you can replant all that stuff like that. Pretty slick! Hope you guys have a good harvest down that way. --HH

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
groundhogs are easily removed with landmines

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
groundhogs are easily removed with landmines
lol, man if I had some I would try them. They are some sly jokers. Have tried live traps to no avail. Have waited for them early morning and late evening with the 12 ga. in the past. Never could catch them. Very destructive pests.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
lol, man if I had some I would try them. They are some sly jokers. Have tried live traps to no avail. Have waited for them early morning and late evening with the 12 ga. in the past. Never could catch them. Very destructive pests.
The only sure-fire method I know of is the 220 Conibear. Set at entrance to the burrow and that's it. No mess. Not advisable if you are worried about catching dogs or cats.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had to look it up. that would do the trick alright... Have to many critters around here I like, raccoons and stray cats and stuff I feed. I am considering taking your advice and putting up a fence, maybe something just temporary for now.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I just built one a few weeks ago. I got the cedar wood at a huge discount 70% off cause a forklift damaged the edge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread