Finally got the money for it, now I just need to decide. Tejon or Vaquero?

Spider-Man

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is it, I'm finally going to do it. I'll own my first metal detector. I'm so excited.

Can anybody please help me decide which one to get? It's going to be an all-around metal detector, and the last one I'll buy for at least 5 years(depending on whether or not I find enough to pay it off). And can anybody recommend the best all-around never changing coil? The one coil that I plan to use until I replace it, if I ever do replace it.

The main things I want to find are coins, then jewelry, then relics in that order, but I want it to go deep on all of them.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't know anything about soil, but I live in Lansing, MI if that can help in deciding.
EDIT 2: Yeah I think I've decided on the Vaquero. Now I just need the best all-around coil for it. Any recommendations? This one looks nice, but I'm not sure if it's the best one for my needs "EXcelerator Search Coil 12x10" SEF (Butterfly)"

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until someone pipes in - if you enter (with quotes): "Tejon or Vaquero" in the search bar - you will be presented with a bunch of threads...
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Michigan...

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Hi spider-man.The vaquero is the perfect choice.Instead of the sef coil i would go with the Tesoro 12x10 DD.It can do what the sef does and is lighter.The Vaquero will do you just fine.Deep,light,simple,effective,great price.I have had two Vaquero's.I am getting another.I have a Tejon.The Vaq would be better for you.It ground balances easier,lighter,One 9v battery.The Tejon takes 8AA's.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree on the Vaquero. Deep, easy to use and light. Honestly, I would stay with the stock coil as my all-around. The larger coil is going to be a pain in trashy and in tight areas like woods, parks and playgrounds. On sports fields and farm fields a larger coil is the bomb!

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DITTO to Terry's statements! But I would suggest, when the finances permit, get the 5.75 concentic as well, its a sniper in the trash, you won't regret it!

HH
PTP

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a different slant on things...

Little coils make the impossible at least semi-possible :) Over all, I'd rather have a small concentric coil like the 5.75" than a 12x10". But those are the two coils to own - you will come to want both coils probably.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say go for the vaquero and an accesory coil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions