Finally made The 18th Century Club Today...New Jersey Copper!!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting an area where I recently found an 1807 Draped Bust LC. It's loaded with iron and trash so after about two hours in the heat and 20 some odd nails later I decided to wrap it up. I was IN MY CAR leaving and just happened to slow down and look at one small strip I haven't really hunted heavily. My gut told me to try one more time and once again the old intuitive hit paid off. I freakin' love it when that happens.

I backed up, parked the car, downed some more water, got my stuff and walked back. After about maybe 5 minutes I got a beautiful tight, high hit, a solid 89 ringing up in the half dollar range. I just knew this was gonna' be something good. As usual I was imagining big silver but to my surprise, out popped a New Jersey Copper; minted from 1786 to 1788. Honestly, I had no clue what it was. I'd never seen one before in my life.

It wasn't even two inches down either. I couldn't believe it. It's been sitting there for two freakin' centuries right under the surface. I could have easily found this one with my cheapie Tracker IV had I just swung over it.

Here it is before I cleaned it:

16th Century Coin New Jersey Copper June 11 2015 001.JPG 16th Century Coin New Jersey Copper June 11 2015 002.JPG

And here it is after a warm water rinse and a brief olive oil soak:

16th Century Coin New Jersey Copper June 11 2015 003.JPG 16th Century Coin New Jersey Copper June 11 2015 004.JPG

It's definitely a bit toasty so I can't get a date at this point. But, I know it's pretty old based on the brief time this coin was minted. I'll leave it in the oil for a few days (or months) and keep my fingers crossed.

This was one of those really aggravating hunts where nothing good was showing up. I dug a ton of nails, pop tops, bottle caps, can slaw, an old rusty Ilco padlock and only two modern copper pennies. The place is SO littered with iron I was just trying to get some of it out of there to see what lies beneath.

This coin was literally surrounded by iron on all sides. But as we all know, in this hobby persistence always pays off sooner later. Just showing up is more than half the battle.

So far I've pulled two nice old coins from this spot and you can bet I'll be going back. It may turn out to be a really good one. It is so far anyway.

It feels awesome to join the 1700's club even if the coin isn't in the greatest shape. I'm just thankful there's enough detail to identify it and it looks beautiful to me. Now, I wonder where I might find something from the 1600's........

Thanks for looking and HH.

*******UPDATE********

Thanks to Don In South Jersey I now know the date of this one; 1787, the year the US Constitution was adopted and signed. Amazing.

Thank you Don In SJ.

Last edited:
Upvote 17
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really Great find? Congrats!
Who can explain that guiding feeling that we need to check a certain spot....I once argued with mine but checked anyhow, glad I did!

Thank you.

And you're absolutely right, you just can't explain it.

That happens fairly regularly for me. I found a nice 14K diamond/sapphire ring that way. I actually backtracked to a very "iffy" signal and dug it. My gut just told me I HAD TO go back to that one.

That "little voice" is NEVER wrong. It's only that we're wrong when we choose to ignore it. It's like some kind of mysterious guiding force that just kicks in right out of the blue yet it's completely unpredictable and spontaneous. I just wish I could call it up at will. Of course, then it wouldn't be mysterious would it??

Dunno' how or why it works but it's a truly amazing thing. Intuition is definitely one of our very best friends; particularly where this hobby is concerned.
Can't wait 'til it happens again.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NJ and you.
Congrats, very great find!

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Diggs! I'm still searching for my NJ copper!! Hope this one cleans up after few days in oil.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the club. It's a great feeling holding something in your hand and imagining the life of the person that held it last, isn't it? Congrats to you.

Indeed it is.
When this coin was struck Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin and the whole gang were still alive and kickin'. The United States Mint had not yet been established.
It's kinda' hard to comprehend in a way. The people who used these coins lived in a world that was so different from ours it's hard to imagine.

I just love these truly historic finds. It's one of the coolest things about this hobby. I wonder who dropped the coin, if it was their last one, what it could actually buy at that time (a loaf of bread maybe??), etc.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread