Finally made The 18th Century Club Today...New Jersey Copper!!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting an area where I recently found an 1807 Draped Bust LC. It's loaded with iron and trash so after about two hours in the heat and 20 some odd nails later I decided to wrap it up. I was IN MY CAR leaving and just happened to slow down and look at one small strip I haven't really hunted heavily. My gut told me to try one more time and once again the old intuitive hit paid off. I freakin' love it when that happens.

I backed up, parked the car, downed some more water, got my stuff and walked back. After about maybe 5 minutes I got a beautiful tight, high hit, a solid 89 ringing up in the half dollar range. I just knew this was gonna' be something good. As usual I was imagining big silver but to my surprise, out popped a New Jersey Copper; minted from 1786 to 1788. Honestly, I had no clue what it was. I'd never seen one before in my life.

It wasn't even two inches down either. I couldn't believe it. It's been sitting there for two freakin' centuries right under the surface. I could have easily found this one with my cheapie Tracker IV had I just swung over it.

Here it is before I cleaned it:

16th Century Coin New Jersey Copper June 11 2015 001.JPG 16th Century Coin New Jersey Copper June 11 2015 002.JPG

And here it is after a warm water rinse and a brief olive oil soak:

16th Century Coin New Jersey Copper June 11 2015 003.JPG 16th Century Coin New Jersey Copper June 11 2015 004.JPG

It's definitely a bit toasty so I can't get a date at this point. But, I know it's pretty old based on the brief time this coin was minted. I'll leave it in the oil for a few days (or months) and keep my fingers crossed.

This was one of those really aggravating hunts where nothing good was showing up. I dug a ton of nails, pop tops, bottle caps, can slaw, an old rusty Ilco padlock and only two modern copper pennies. The place is SO littered with iron I was just trying to get some of it out of there to see what lies beneath.

This coin was literally surrounded by iron on all sides. But as we all know, in this hobby persistence always pays off sooner later. Just showing up is more than half the battle.

So far I've pulled two nice old coins from this spot and you can bet I'll be going back. It may turn out to be a really good one. It is so far anyway.

It feels awesome to join the 1700's club even if the coin isn't in the greatest shape. I'm just thankful there's enough detail to identify it and it looks beautiful to me. Now, I wonder where I might find something from the 1600's........

Thanks for looking and HH.

*******UPDATE********

Thanks to Don In South Jersey I now know the date of this one; 1787, the year the US Constitution was adopted and signed. Amazing.

Thank you Don In SJ.

Last edited:
Upvote 17

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I was really excited to see a 1500's coin here in the US but congrats on hitting the 1700's.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find. :thumbsup: I dream of the day that I break into the 18th century.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet!! Congrads on the copper and hope to see a few more from the same area...

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! That could have been in the pocket of one of the founding fathers at some point. :treasurechest::thumbsup:

gtfm2345

Nov 15, 2012
c ny
Detector(s) used
TEK OMEGA TEK ALPHA DET PRO WADER NEL COIL 4"dd
10" ELPTCL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what century? Great find anyway !!!
!!!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what century? Great find anyway !!!
!!!

Yeah I got that. I PM'd the mods to fix it!! Sorry about that. I was counting in the wrong direction in all the excitement.
You can't edit those thread titles.
A thousand pardons.

***EDIT***

Thread title has been corrected.

It originally said "16th Century Club" and should have been "18th".
I got my centuries bass ackwards for a minute.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on joining the 1700s club! That is a really sweet find. Good show!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, love them jersey coppers, don't see too many of them pop up!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the club. It's a great feeling holding something in your hand and imagining the life of the person that held it last, isn't it? Congrats to you.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first NJ copper! Your coin is a 1787 Maris 46-e variety, a very common variety and only the 13th NJ in my survey from your state, but it is the 39th reported found one of that variety. Finding your NJ copper in the same area as your Large Cent is most common, most seem to be found at sites that were occupied from 1790s thru 1830's. Don

Last edited:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your state copper and your oldest coin to date!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don seems to have said it all! Great coin and considering the age it's really not all that toasty. Welcome to the 1700's and best of luck on the elusive 1600's club. It's a tricky one.

Congrats!!!

Don, great info and many thanks

Steve

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first NJ copper! Your coin is a 1787 Maris 46-e variety, a very common variety and only the 13th NJ in my survey from your state, but it is the 39th reported found one of that variety. Finding your NJ copper in the same area as your Large Cent is most common, most seem to be found at sites that were occupied from 1790s thru 1830's. Don

Thanks for the detailed info. I really appreciate it.

And thanks to all as well.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making the club and you did it big with nice looking copper. Be careful with the water it can have undesirable effects but yours didn't turn out too bad. Great find!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on making the club and you did it big with nice looking copper. Be careful with the water it can have undesirable effects but yours didn't turn out too bad. Great find!

Thanks.

I used distilled water this morning then later switched from olive oil to mineral oil.
It's supposed to be better because it's PH neutral.

I cleaned my first LC with tap water and immediately lost almost all of the detail that the dirt was showing. It's hit and miss with cleaning but in this case I could tell there was actually something there.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really Great find? Congrats!
Who can explain that guiding feeling that we need to check a certain spot....I once argued with mine but checked anyhow, glad I did!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread