Finally on the board in 2015 with a cut pistareen, more coins, buttons & other stuff

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally on the board in 2015 with a cut pistareen, more coins, buttons & other stuff

It's been a long and very slow winter for me, and a lot of it can be blamed on the lousy weather. Seems like I've only been able to get out about 1/3 as much as usual this year, and my recoveries are hurting as a result. I was finally able to fit in a short 2 hour hunt on a decent day (last Thurs), right before my wife and I had to go out of town to attend her 98 year old grandmother's funeral. I'd been studying additional homesites that were showing up on a great 1802 chancery court plat map I uncovered during research. I had already discovered one of these sites last year, and it was extremely productive. This new site I had my eyes on was only a few hundred yards away from the first, but it appeared to be right on the very edge of the field or possibly in the owner's yard when I overlayed it on top of a modern aerial. I was forewarned that it might be difficult to get permission there, but I got along great with the elderly owner after I started showing her my research materials. She invited me in for a long chat, but when I finally popped the question I was told I'd need to speak with her husband who was not home at the time. It was about 10 days before I could make that happened, and fortunately we hit it off great. With permission secured I decided to start out by zigzagging in an organized pattern to cover most of the 50 acre field just to give it an initial check. But other then one plow point and a couple pieces of aluminum can, the field was absolutely devoid of signals. I saved the area on the edge of the field for last, and as I was walking back to my truck I got a nice 80s signal that turned out to be a toasty 1850 LC. And it was only about 20 ft from the dirt lane that separated the cut soybean field from some neighboring yards. After that I slowed down a bit and noticed a very small piece of brick which always gets my attention. I slowly started pulling out a few flat buttons (one an early Navy) when some more coins started to appear. First a '46 rosie which was a major disappointment, but soon afterward I was rewarded with a nice 1858 holed half dime. And almost immediately what I thought might be a small button turned out to be an unexpected surprise - an early 1700s cut pistareen! So I was finally able to put Spanish silver in my pouch after not finding any since Dec 30. That makes 7 for the season and 176 overall. But the signals were confined to a very narrow area - within 30 ft of the lane and maybe 100-150 ft wide - and not a thing outside that rectangle. But it appears the site very likely extends into the adjacent yards. That might be a tough sell, but hopefully if I wave my early maps in front of the other homeowners I might get lucky. I may give that a try on the first mild day, but with the way the forecast is shaping up that might be quite a while.

Attachments

• 021215a.jpg
    021215a.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 021215b.jpg
    021215b.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 021215c.jpg
    021215c.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 021215e.jpg
    021215e.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 021215f.jpg
    021215f.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 021215g.jpg
    021215g.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 021215h.jpg
    021215h.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Upvote 24

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you not count the Snake and Stars Button on the Banner as "On the Board for 2015" Lol.........Great hunt as usual Bill, great research and hope you can get into the rest of the area. What a time spread from 1700s Spanish Silver to a Rosie with some goodies in between, Congrats and GL

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you not count the Snake and Stars Button on the Banner as "On the Board for 2015" Lol.........Great hunt as usual Bill, great research and hope you can get into the rest of the area. What a time spread from 1700s Spanish Silver to a Rosie with some goodies in between, Congrats and GL

I was just referring to being on the board with colonial silver which has always been #1 on my most wanted list. Thanks for your comments.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on breaking drought on the silvers Bill.

It's a hit miss on gaining permissions from other folks across fence lines, it sometimes it comes down how they get along.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Bill..It always seems that the goodies are always in one area..
And its the last area we hit..lol.
Last year i hunted this 1700s farm house with 7acers..It wasn't until i got to the last 1/2 that i started to find stuff. .
Glad you didn't give up...
Ps, i love when they tell me permission is going to be hard..lo.
George

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds! Love the half dime! Have to admit though....I'm a bit jealous. I see grass in the background of your pics. The snow is waist deep here with 2 more feet coming tomorrow...ugh!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I went for a walk with my wife and she thought I lost my damn mind when I started cursing the vast white frozen ice tundra surrounding us in a park. Then I come home and see your post!

Great finds...the half dime and cut silver are super finds. Congrats and keep those goodies coming. Were all super jealous;)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look who's back on the board. I know that hunt had to feel great bud. You're just getting warmed up now

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting in February...I can't even imagine how awesome that would be. Congrats on the finds, especially the Spanish.

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds Bill. I wish to find more clean silver from my site like that. Maybe tomorrow if i can stand the wind. After that and the ground will likely be to frozen to dig.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I went for a walk with my wife and she thought I lost my damn mind when I started cursing the vast white frozen ice tundra surrounding us in a park. Then I come home and see your post!

Great finds...the half dime and cut silver are super finds. Congrats and keep those goodies coming. Were all super jealous;)

Thanks man! It looks like we're finally going to get some of that white stuff in my area for the first time this season. Between that and some mighty frigid temps I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out again.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic hunt! Thank you for sharing the story and photos.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow Bill, awesome hunt, finds like that tend to get your blood flowing

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Bill. That was really productive hunt with some future potential if you can get the other folks to give you permission. Did you peek in their yards to see if you could see any brick or other indicators?

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill - Glad to see that you got out and went home with some Spanish silver. Nothing happening up here in southern New England but more snow - snow - snow. It's snowing right now for crying out loud. I think I've got a bad case of cabin fever.

images.jpg

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go Bill. That was really productive hunt with some future potential if you can get the other folks to give you permission. Did you peek in their yards to see if you could see any brick or other indicators?

No Joey, its just dormant grass so you can't see any bare ground. Its not the most well-manicured lawn I've seen, but most people don't want someone digging in their yard. My only hope is that they take an interest in my research and would like to see what history might be hiding in their yard.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the photo of the cut silver next to the half dime. Haven't found either so seeing them is nice. As always look forward to your posts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions