Finally silver again and its an older Half Dollar, my first.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally silver again and it's an older Half Dollar, my first.

I decided at midnight that I would try a new place that I saw the other day. Boy am I glad I did. I knew I only would have a few hours this morning being that I wanted to spend my day with my son, my wife, and my father.

I woke up at 6 am and headed out. I thought I would go to another place first because I found a Buffalo and a few wheat cents there a few weeks ago. I arrived there remembering that I saw someone there last week. I was quite shocked at what I saw. It looked like a moon scape, holes everywhere and deep ones at that. It looks like he was digging a lot of garbage because it was beside every hole. I figured it would be best to leave because this guy has ruined it for everyone at this site.

I then headed to the new secret spot. I went around the perimeter just finding a few modern coins and saw about a ton of shredded aluminum cans. When I got back to where I had started, close to the road and my vehicle, I got a solid hit at 8 inches. At first I wasn't even going to dig it, being that I always seem to find pieces of fence that register as $1. This one was a little bit different. It bounced between 50 cents and $1. I stuck my digging tool deep and pulled up on the dirt. When I saw the eagle I got goose pimples all over me and the biggest smile. It went directly to my pocket to view later. I went a few more feet and called it a day.

I pulled the half dollar out of my pocket to look at it a little bit better. I noticed the date of 1943, smiled, and then I cursed myself. I had scratched it. I scratched it across the rays of sun. I can't understand how I can pull out a penny from the ground and not even a scratch and then pull something good and wham a big groove the size of the Grand Canyon. Another thing that I noticed is how blemished they are when they come out of the ground.

In all seriousness I am happy that I finally found something that everyone here in Pasco County said I would never find.....

Thanks for looking, sorry about all the extra wording.

Attachments

• group shot.jpg
    group shot.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 820
  • front half 1943.jpg
    front half 1943.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 818
  • back half 1943.jpg
    back half 1943.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 803
Upvote 0

outdoorgirl

Nov 21, 2006
Eastern NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finally silver again and it's an older Half Dollar, my first.

I too don't understand how that happens. You can find crap all day and not scratch it up, but then when it comes to something good..... S C R A P E. It's a good find anyway!! ;D

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

What a great find. I remember the first and only one I dug, what a rush. Thanks for sharing your find as it looked when it came out of its hiding place.

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350

bet that took your breath away when you dug that up !! :o Great finds rh

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You found a very nice one... I was at my sisters in New Smyrna Beach about 20 years ago and got my metal detector out and dug a few very deep holes and saw nothing but sand and shells. I got to thinking it would be a miracle to find an old coin there. I also wondered how grass could grow in nothing but sand. You sure proved my theory wrong...Congrats on the BIG SILVER!!!

Attachments

• license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 655
  • license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 657

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Nice piece! And don't feel too bad, we've all done it; some, in fact, in the last few days :(.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

Those Walkers are just gorgeous coins. I can barely see the scratch and still thin it one heck of a find. Can't wait to see you post some more!

~Nash~

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everybody for the kind words. Yes when I saw that big piece of silver it did cause a reaction I didn't expect. I couldn't believe that I could get goose bumps in 90 degree weather. The smile would have really ruined a hand of poker. It showed me that there are still some really nice coins out there. I always had a little bit of doubt when I would see that others were finding them and I wasn't. It's probably a jealousy thing, hahaha. Yes the scratch isn't that big but it still breaks one's heart that those things happen. By the way it is my first really good find in three years of hunting and all of my family know about it by now.....

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Great coin! Too bad that other guy left those holes everywhere at the other place; I would have been tempted to fill them.

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks...I filled in some of the holes from this guy but it looked like a lunar landscape. I would have spent all of Father's Day there just fixing this other guy's fancy work. It looked like he used a camp shovel or something larger and just about every hole had the junk he dug up right beside it. Next to one hole (about 1 foot wide by 2 feet deep) there was an 18 inch piece of steel pipe with fittings.

I don't dig anything that shows larger than coin size. I know that the imaging feature is not always acurate, but I figure why dig more holes than you need to. My Garrett seems to be right on the money on size, but always dances between which coin it will be. I know, that's the fun of the hunt.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

;D ;D ;D great coin !! ;D ;D ;D

M-Squared

Mar 4, 2007
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum XLT & Bullseye II Probe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great find..

Still waiting for my first walker. I hit several 90+vdi half signals this year but no payoff...

HH from M2

OP
OP
JP

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments.

I honestly believed I was digging another piece of wire again. I have dug many pieces of wire that showed up on the screen as a half dollar or one dollar coin. There was just a little bit of difference on the screen, it stayed coin size and bounced between 50 cents and one dollar. There were a few signals like that at this site that I will go back for....if I can find them.....

I love this hobby...there's never a dull moment.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great find! I've only found 1 so far, and that was 11 years ago.

outdoorgirl said:
I too don't understand how that happens. You can find crap all day and not scratch it up, but then when it comes to something good..... S C R A P E.

The way I see it, the bigger the coin, the more area or space it takes up, so the chances of scratching larger coins with your digging tool are actually better if it's not pinpointed accurately.

Nat

R

RUDY2003

Beautiful Walker buddy.....

Keep safe and keep diggin'...

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

fantastic find i can't wait to find my first good luck and hh

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Congratulations, goose pimples and all. ;D

Can't really see the scratch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread