abert

Tenderfoot
Oct 28, 2014
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Not Sure - 15 year old Radio Shack Model
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I started this hobby about a month ago, the kids started getting allowance and being 4 & 5 I thought they would enjoy all the coins, which they have. However, after searching through 2 boxes plus of half dollar, 3 boxes of Nickels, and 3 boxes plus of dimes and only finding one 40% Kennedy, a dime and two war nickels my wife was questioning the point of all of it.

Then last night I picked up the 3rd box of half dollars and found a silver end, which had another in the roll. At that point it wasn't just my two oldest helping but my wife, my in-laws (in town visiting), and my 2 year old. In the end we found 3 - 90% and 17 - 40%. I have also been told by my wife to skip the nickels and dime and just start getting two boxes of halfs...not a bad night.

coins.jpg

I've been telling her it's about volume, and just glad she finally understands.

Upvote 0

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Nice variety of dates there, too.

You should consider putting together a set of Kennedy halves for each of your kids as you go through boxes of halves, as well as ordering each of them a set of the 4, 50th anniversary silver JFK halves available from the US Mint at the moment. It'll be 20-40 years until they truly appreciate your gift, but good things come to those who wait.

CRH

Nov 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not recommend giving up on the nickels. I get 2 boxes a week and in about 2 months have pulled around an oz. of silver, 7 buffalos, and 1 lonely V-Nickel. Dimes also produce, I have only done 1 box myself and it produced a '46D and a '43D. Persistence is key, just give it time and you will have a massive score!
-CRH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread