FINALLY something worth posting. 241 year old silver in SE Missouri!!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like ages since I've had any finds worth posting about. 2013 has been a terrible year so far for my detecting anything great. One silver up until my last hunt and it was a beat up Rosie found in the park (the Barber dime in my pictures was actually my last silver of 2012). Some wheats, couple of V nickels, a buffalo nickel, one crusty indian, some assorted bullets that took several hunts to find digging deep iffy-iffy signals on a hunted out camp site, and some assorted odds and ends. Nothing worth crowing about. Until Monday. I'd been having problems gaining permission on anything new so decided to go hit a site I found late last year. The main site is planted in wheat so I went to do some scouting mainly. I ran into the property caretaker and chatted him up for info and he sent me off in a couple of different directions where I might find old house sites. The first looks very promising but is also in wheat. Picked up the tiny pieces of broken china there and a couple of Colonial era buttons around a big old tree where the farmer had pushed the foundation stones, then I hit one of those signals that you just know is going to be a coin. When I popped the plug I saw another thin blackened disc and figured it was just another plain Colonial button (have a couple of handfuls of those now so they're not as exciting as they used to be to me). When the sunlight hit it, however, I saw a design and a date on one side......177 were the numbers I could make out almost immediately and I almost sat down right there in the mud! Later when I got near a creek I rinsed the rest of the dirt off and my discovery turned out to be my oldest coin found so far, a 1772 1 Reale. Not in the greatest condition and someone pierced it with a tiny hole but.....it's beautiful to me. The hole is very tiny and tastefully placed (not like most holed coins I've found which always seem to have the hole punched in with a nail and right where the date would be....lol). I realize that the coin isn't old by European standards but it is ancient for my part of the world. 2013 may have started out slow but when my 2nd silver for the year turns out to be 241 years old.....I'm not going to complain.
As a side note, 1772 was the year that our country's revolution started stirring up. On June 9 – The British vessel Gaspee was burned off of Rhode Island and the first Committee of Correspondence was formed. This coin may have been kept as a reminder of those events, a few hundred yards from where I found the coin there's a small cemetery where a former Revolutionary war soldier is buried. He and his family (and extended family) settled here right after the Louisianna purchase. In 1772 there weren't many white people West of the Mississippi and this land holds at least 3 house sites that were built by some of the very first Americans in the state of Missouri! Can't wait until the wheat is harvested!!!

Attachments

• 313finds1.jpg
    313finds1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 383
  • 313finds2.jpg
    313finds2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 363
  • 313finds3.jpg
    313finds3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 313finds5.jpg
    313finds5.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 313finds6.jpg
    313finds6.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 353
  • 313finds11.jpg
    313finds11.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 368
  • 313finds12.jpg
    313finds12.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 348
  • 313finds8.jpg
    313finds8.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 332
  • 313finds9.jpg
    313finds9.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 337
  • 313finds10.jpg
    313finds10.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 18

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great assortment of finds there and congrats on the Spanish silver!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Spanish! That Native American drill would have been an awesome piece if whole.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Great coin! And for what you think was a lackluster start to 2013, I'd take the buffs, V's and IH's all day!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find! The site sounds like a detectors dream. MAke sure you dig everything above iron, and then go back and dig the iron. No telling what you could pull from that place.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Man, that's quite the haul there! Congrats!

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Spanish! That Native American drill would have been an awesome piece if whole.
Yeah....no kidding, I sure wish it had been all there. Still a nice piece and will probably go into one of my indian artifact display cases. That was pretty much my only good find on one afternoon detecting hunt. Was detecting along and looked down and there it was. I knew there had been an indian site on the property there but it had been so picked over that there's not much left but chips and chunks of broken stone. This little area was where a house once stood, however, and I think the drill was probably kicked up when they bulldozed the building back a few years ago.

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Great coin! And for what you think was a lackluster start to 2013, I'd take the buffs, V's and IH's all day!
Oh don't think I'm complaining about the finds. I'm complaining more about the amount of time I've spent detecting this year and the little I have to show for it. I've had several hunts where I've come home with nothing or at best a wheatie. The nicer V nickel was on my first hunt on a property I'd just gotten permission for. The next trip there I talked to the owner and he'd discovered that someone had stolen some of his farm equipment (500 gal gas tank and 3-point hitch plow) so he no longer wanted anyone around the place. GRRRRR....that stinks. I was SO looking forward to hitting that spot after the field had been turned over. I'd found a few bits and pieces of Mississippian indian pottery and some artifact fragments AND there is an early 1800's two story brick adobe still standing on the hill too. Lots of goodies in the ground around there. Sure hope I can talk my way back on before the old coot passes. He's in his late 80's at least and deaf as a rock. Have to correspond with him by letter because he can't hear the phone or the door!

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin - I would so love to find on of those - congrats - amazing find

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very nice finds.....A cool Silver, And as stated above, American atifacts are always cool will the drill had been whole
Congrats on some very cool finds......................HH

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Ah, so you finally kind of got one of thsoe places you were telling me about. I hope this years starts getting better for me too, because i'm not finding as much as i'd like.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an awesome hunt!

Happy Hunting!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding anything of valuable metal that old our Show Me state! Just proves that the Spanish were boating up the Mississippi River and trading coins to the Native Americans maybe, hence the hole for a necklace? Happy Hunting, Sub

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Congrats on the 1 reale!! I hope you find more when the wheat is harvested!! HH, Finman (Joe)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is quite a find coming from MO! :notworthy: WTG! I thought I was going faint when I found a LC in KS this past fall....but that old silver would have given me a heart attack for sure! hahaha! GREAT variety of super finds there.
Congrats!
Nana :)

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great find! I really like the way you tied the date to our history! Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread