Finally the old field coughs up a couple...!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody ! Go ahead and throw decaying vegetable matter at me for not yet achieving pic ability-

but I really have to report yesterdays finds . I have been hunting an old field here in Santa Fe for about

a year and a half , It's probably 3 acres - I've found numerous U.S. Indian Service buttons circa 1910-1930

5 or six silver rosies, the earliest being a 1947 , a Canadian silver dime 1940, and numerous wheaties from

the 1940's - and several silver rings - but until monday afternoon -no mercury dimes - all the indicators

were right for there to be mercs by the vintage of finds up to now . I went in with my MXT with the 6x10

DD coil , put it in relic mode , disc at 3 , gain between + 1 and + 2 . and I was going very slowly - I got

a signal of 80-82 one direction , cross checked it at 90 degrees - 85-87 - depth was showing 5 inches .

This was clearly either a dime or quarter , and before I dug this signal I was clearly picturing merc. - Sure

enough , as I put a glove full of dirt next to the hole , I see the pretty little winged liberty on top of the

pile (1944 in VG) - This lifted my gloomy spirits and I immediatly called a couple of MD buddies on my

cell - to share the good news - Started detecting again very slowly in the surrounding area and within

a few minutes got a similarly encouraging signal - slightly iffy on the cross check- @ 4 inches depth,

merc # 2 - (1941 s in VG) . Called the buddies again , hunted for a couple more hours - no keepers.

I'm thinking about what was different in yesterdays hunt - Soil was moist , coil was right for trashy site,

sweep speed was very slow , relic mode for better depth , finally I was really thinking merc all day.

Argentium.

Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
it's worth it to go slow. That's how I found my silver at an old Farm Homestead. a Nice Columbian Half Dollar.. My first true silver.

Happy hunting

Twin Digger

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely do not subscribe to the "dig it all " school of detecting . The very point of my rather long winded

account of yesterdays finds ,was that I ( or anybody for that matter ) could go into previously hunted areas ,

with ideal soil conditions and very site specific equipment ( ie coils and set up ) and ferret out very specific targets.

Argentium.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium,

Before I start throwing rotten tomatoes at you.......get a camera and start posting those pics!! ;D :laughing9:

Congrats on the mercs! :thumbsup:

Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions