Finally tried electrolysis

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
After reading and seeing some of the others on here talking about electrolysis I decided to give it a shot. I took a lot of the design from Floaters setup in the preservation thread, but needed something a little larger, so I substituted a dishpan for the Folgers can, and a 12v2a battery charger instead of the phone charger, since I was cleaning larger items. The first thing I tried it on was an iron spike. I didn't take any before pics because it was nothing special, so here is the result. After the process, the items were sprayed with clear matte spraypaint.

IMG_4440.jpg

The next thing I tried out was a large iron key. I was fairly happy with the results. I could have probably gone a little longer with it in the tank, but part of the bow was very thin, and I didn't want to overcook it.

Before

IMG_4030.jpg

After

IMG_4434.jpg

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job dc :thumbsup:

After the spike and the key did you find yourself going around the house looking for more items to cook?

habs

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
They all came from an area that I've been working for over a year. Same area that produced the musket balls in the first key picture. I've already got shelves of things that I can start using it on, so those will be my "rainy days" projects. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for more during the nice weather.

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Very nice well done.
Just one tip please!!!!! make sure the area is well ventilated.
For when you use it there can be fums that can be flammable or make you sick.
Well done again and great pics
HH
Dan

OP
OP
D

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
Thanks again

All the "cooking" is being done outdoors.

I'm not trying to turn my house in to the next Hindenburg ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread