Finally Visited Old Home Site

bigmac58

Mar 24, 2007
Parkersburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
I finally was able to visit the site I recently received permission to hunt. I was originally only going to take pictures as I was in the area for other reasons but couldn't help to search for a few minutes. The yard is full of trash, but old trash. I found several bottles and about five of the porcelain caps that they used to put on mason jars. The only thing remaining of the site is the old well, which what you can see of it is sandstone. My dad and I are going to hunt the area, any advice?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Attachments

• Home Site 1.jpg
    Home Site 1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 420
  • Home Site 2.jpg
    Home Site 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 416
  • Home Site 3.jpg
    Home Site 3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 413
  • Jar Cap.jpg
    Jar Cap.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Hunt it all! Use the well as a center marker, grid off an area, and start from there. Good luck to ya, it looks like a good site.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Jeremy, welcome to the Tnet! You didn't list the kind of detectors you and your dad hunt with but if you both have 5 inch coils that's what I would use seeing you said the place was full of trash. Looks like you might want to take a lawn mower with you, too. :D
Start off with your detectors original coil and go to the smaller one's if its to trashy. Happy Hunting, hope you find lots of good stuff.

Desertfox

OP
OP
bigmac58

bigmac58

Mar 24, 2007
Parkersburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Thanks for the info. One thing I did forget to mention is that I am very new to this hobby. This was around my third time out. Also, my brother owns land near here and he had used a dozer to move some dirt around recently. A couple of days ago he looks at the ground an picks up a penny. He realized later that it is an IH penny. The coin looks to be in good shape but has a lot of corosion on the surface. Is it safe to use olive oil to soak and help remove this?

Thanks!

OP
OP
bigmac58

bigmac58

Mar 24, 2007
Parkersburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
I have a White's Classic ID with the original coil (ProScan 800). I don't know much about coils or if this one is ok. My dad is using a detector he got at Radio Shack, not sure of the model.

Thanks.

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
The Pro Scan is a good coil. It's an 8 incher, so it will get around the trash
fairly well. Take your time, and any signal your not sure of, dig it. Remember
those sounds, and in no time that machine will be talking to you. Don't get
discouraged, as the stuff is out there... you just have to find it!!
HH Slabman

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The well would've been a short distance from the home site. But which direction? Unless you can see where the house used to sit, (and even if you can, you won't know its orientation on the property), start at the well and walk in straight lines away from it until you start finding old coins. Then make and ever-widening spiral around where you find the first coin. If an area starts producing a lot of coins, lower your discrimination and dig everything.

Just how I would do it. Good Luck!

Buckleboy

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
bigmac58 said:
Thanks for the info. One thing I did forget to mention is that I am very new to this hobby. This was around my third time out. Also, my brother owns land near here and he had used a dozer to move some dirt around recently. A couple of days ago he looks at the ground an picks up a penny. He realized later that it is an IH penny. The coin looks to be in good shape but has a lot of corosion on the surface. Is it safe to use olive oil to soak and help remove this?

Thanks!

I'd be asking Bro if I could hunt his property as well. The area pictured looks fantastic to me. I would say that between the two you should find some great stuff. Welcome to the world of treasure hunting.

Best o' luck
~Nash~

OP
OP
bigmac58

bigmac58

Mar 24, 2007
Parkersburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID
Thanks for the info.

I spent about an hour on my brothers property about two weeks ago. I found a glass mason cap liner there also . From what I can find out these caps were used from the mid to late 1800's into the mid 1900's. That means that there must be some older coins including silver there somewhere. Has anybody else found these? We know that there was an old house on his property also, but not 100% sure where. An older neighbor was talking to us today and he stated that he knew where the old house was located and that the well for this house is still visible. It is hidden under a pile of brush explaining why we haven't seen it. He also stated that the road that you can see in my third picture actually used to be a county road. He said that there was another house site on the property so there may be another promising site to search. Also, what digging tools does everybody use? I am using a small garden shovel and find digging very difficult.

Thanks for all the advice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread