Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thinking I’ve finally found something haha i have posted quite a bit on other forums and what not about questions and possible artifacts. The general consensus was always “probably a rock”. So I did more research and found a documented site and went to a field nearby. The field is an open prairie so it isn’t tilled. It’s very overgrown and I was looking in tire track marks and found the following flake. If that’s the proper term?
It has a defined edge, and what appears to a novice eye of knapping. What do y’all think?

https://imgur.com/gallery/PjvlLeZ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can see in your pictures it looks to be the middle section of a Point. The base and tip have been broken off.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a mid section but doesn’t look like from a finished point .... that one edge that has the 90 degree angle isn’t typical of a finished point but no way of really saying for sure don’t see any flaking either but maybe it’s the material that doesn’t show well in pics quartz does the same thing

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Could be a mid-section but that large area on the third and fourth images upper left does not looks what I would expect to see on knapped points.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with most here. I’m not sure it is a midsection, I think it’s a large flake.
I was only out for a quick 15 minute hunt after work, so I’m excited to get back and explore the creek nearby

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its maybe a preform that broke and was discarded. Any way its an ancient relic worked on by hand. Its an authentic find.

I've been waiting awhile to find a legitimate piece!
Just goes to show that research pays off. The site is on public land, and is a documented site, but do to it being a prairie it isn't tilled up or anything. I found the piece by searching in tire tracks of some heavy equipment they brought out to fix some powerlines nearby. I'm excited to go down to the creek and see what I can find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread