"Find any silver?"

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Said the numbnuts standing in line at the BOA. I had found about $100 in CWRs at some local bank branches over lunch and had just swapped them for cash where apparently he overheard the exchange. My response was "silver? I look for error coins and key dates." But the damage may have been done. In this bank, the tellers have never mentioned silver to me before and had turned over more than one silver coin. Then this yokel just comes in and might as well have been shouting out "hey everyone, there's silver in them halves!" Some people are simply oxygen thieves.

/rant off

Upvote 0

Adamkir

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a branch that sells rolls telling me they seen silver in them when they checked count. I think some care. Some do not.. I mean those 19 quarters i bought out of the teller tray were known silver. The girl just didn't care and sold them.. Hopefully your branch doesn't care..

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea some people don't care either way. Like the teller who sold me a barber for fifty cents (although it turned out to be a fake), clearly the fact that it was from the early nineteen hundreds must've set her off. But to her big deal, a few bucks, let the collector's have them. I mean honestly, what's one or two silver coins to a teller? We stockpile hundreds which makes it worth it.

A few weeks ago on a road trip I got two $2 blood notes, a $5 blood note, and a $5 silver certificate. You'd better believe the teller knew those were worth more than face, but also a lot of banks as a policy do not allow tellers to switch money

Most people know about silver these days, although most people constantly forget the dates they still made silver. Even a teller I thought was knowledgeable because her dad is a coin collector and she talks about silver - turns out she thinks only 62s and 63s are silver for some reason.

My point here is unless someone shouts out "Hey are you looking for silver dimes halves and quarters made 1964 (1970) and before that you can walk across the street to the pawn shop and get several dollars apiece each!" You overestimate peoples ability to take a single piece of information (silver) and do something with it

Anyways, my thoughts, hope they help! I know what you mean though it is annoying when people open their damn mouths.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I would yell it loud and proud that you are indeed looking for silver. Dare them to try and steal it. Tell them to make your day, mention jimmy bob, the last guy who tried to take your silver and why he can't open rolls anymore.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't matter...all the tellers around here are silver saavy. Today I asked for halves, once again was told, "we have some, but nothing good." Teller proceeds to dump the rolls out on the counter.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would irritate me as well. You played it right by acting like you search for errors. I always say that too, that I fill each year, and errors.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While dumping a bag of halves yesterday I get some fat old hillbilly behind me say out loud WOW, are all those silver dollars? Everybody in the bank stops and turns.........thanks a lot you fat loser...my response "no" hoping he goes away. Him " what are they silver quarters?" me " no, there not silver , there half dollars , regular half dollars". Him, "well I have tons and tons of old silver dollars at home". If I thought he wasn't crazy I would have been excited. Lol, thanks dipstick for making my dumping experience even more painful than it already is.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While dumping a bag of halves yesterday I get some fat old hillbilly behind me say out loud WOW, are all those silver dollars? Everybody in the bank stops and turns.........thanks a lot you fat loser...my response "no" hoping he goes away. Him " what are they silver quarters?" me " no, there not silver , there half dollars , regular half dollars". Him, "well I have tons and tons of old silver dollars at home". If I thought he wasn't crazy I would have been excited. Lol, thanks dipstick for making my dumping experience even more painful than it already is.

Haha with his track record who knows, they could all be steel cents!

Deep Packets

Dec 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just think, this happens at least 5 times a week in every bank in the country. Don't be naieve that this was a one time thing. And when silver is $75+oz, our hobby will be crippled.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack...this is not a new hobby.

I'll continue to buy your dumps :)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have somebody that annoys me once a month it seems, most of the time they talk to the tellers and ask if they have any silver...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread