Find of a Life Time!!! Jackpot!

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Ya'll!

I know I just said I was coming back from taking 5-7 years off coin roll hunting but dang it is GREAT to be back!!!!

Here's the story I've been really looking forward to sharing with you all. The other day I was doing my second trip back as a CRHer, stopping by banks while out with a friend I haven't seen in a while (thanks to him for being so patient, haha!)

We stopped at one bank, he stayed in the truck while I went in to just get a box of nickels and pennies, I never have luck with other coins and wheats and dateless buffs still get my blood pumping...

I'm at the counter and I hear two tellers going over to the coin machine, and start opening and taking it apart and I hear the most ear-ringing noise ever to a CRH'er: "These large dollar coins aren't going through, it looks like the machine is going to be broken until we can get someone in here to fix it." I walked away from that teller so fast, and straight over to this older couple with FOUR FIVE GALLON BUCKETS of all half dollars and dollar coins... I saw a Morgan dollar sitting on the coin machine and knew I had to spring into action.

"I have a solution!" I said. "I can count this all for you and buy it all with cash right now." I messaged my friend and he came in to help, I offered him $50. We counted out $800 in halfs and large dollar coins, and then we had to head back to the couple's convenience store they owned to continue counting!

Another $600 FV in halves and dollars later... We walked away with two five gallon buckets of the four filled with everything we could take, and knew we hit the JACKPOT.

As we were separating Eisenhower's from the smaller presidential dollar coins, we were snagging silver mercury dimes, silver quarters, everything!

Here's the totals WITH PHOTOS!

Large Dollar Coins:
.999 Fine Silver Standing Liberty Bullion Coins. (1989, 2000)
1879 Morgan Dollar (x2)
1921D Morgan Dollar (x1)
1922 Peace Dollar
1923S Peace Dollar
1926S Peace Dollar
1971S Silver Eisenhower (x2)
1973S Silver Eisenhower (x1)

Half Dollars
1911 Barber Half Dollar (x1)

1945 Walking Liberty Half (x2)
1944 (x1)
1943S (x1)
1942S (x1)
1942 (x1)
1918S (x1)
1917 (x1)

Franklin's
1960D (x2)
1960 (x1)
1961D (x2)
1962D (x3)
1963D (x7)
1952D (x1)
1953D (x3)
1954D (x2)
1958D (x1)
1959 (x1)
1959D (x2)

Kennedy's

1976S (1)
1964 (23)
1965 (8)
1966 (13)
1967 (33)
1968 (27)
1969 (17)

Mercury Dimes!
16 - Mixed Dates, Haven't had time to look!

Roosevelt Silver's!
3 (Mixed Dates)

There was one old looking roll of quarters in the middle of a 5 gallon bucket, checked both ends, both silver... Brought it home...

WHOLE THING SILVER.

Total Silver Quarters Found:

This older couple owned this store for 8 years and this was all their change from that time... WOW.

What. A. Day. !!! :laughing7:

Can't wait to share more finds with you all! Big hunts to come! coins 5.jpg

Attachments

• Coins 4.jpg
    Coins 4.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 99
  • Coins 1.jpg
    Coins 1.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Coins 2.jpg
    Coins 2.jpg
    851.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Coins 3.jpg
    Coins 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back indeed!! No need to feel bad about that score! You saved it from just being thinned out and found by others :)

Congrats and HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You lucky devil!

The part I don’t get is that the old couple saved coins from change that they knew were collectable, yet ended up cashing for face at a bank?

As far back as seven or eight years ago, some banks in this area refused deposits of silver or numismatic coin, and referred folks to the LCS.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No qualms with how it was found. The collection was on the extreme precipice of being sold to the bank for face - and better it you than the bank! Congrats!

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick thinking on your part, but your greed clouded your actions. The nature of the hunt we all realize where the coins are coming from. Finding them downstream from a bag/box/roll/teller, is one thing. Knowingly buying them at face direct from a person - especially an older couple who likely have difficulty in making ends meet is wrong. When you objectively look at the situation, deep down, you know your actions wasn't honorable. There is one way to make things right and that doesn't include returning to buy a bag of chips.

Couldn't have said it any better. Would the OP have wanted someone to take advantage of their parents or grandparents that way?

And before anyone says "they were cashing it in expecting face value anyway", I would argue that shouldn't preclude someone who knows better from doing the right and honorable thing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a great day...wow! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions