Find of a lifetime?

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Ok, I was hankering for a little fossil action because I can't remember the last time I was shoveling, shifting or crawling around looking for something good.

Today, I decided to head over to Onslow quarry because during the spring hunt the Belgrade supervisor said that Onslow was open for hunting again. So even though I'm close by I haven't been able to check on that statement and today was a good time to check for access.

I was surprised and happy to see Mr. Meadows rocking the mic at the control desk, and after asking me to let you all know that the mine now requires helmet, steel toe safety shoes and glasses then I was off to the dirt.

DSC00629.JPG

The smallest and cutest Kellum in the World! I'm taking offers!

DSC00624.JPG

I guess this isn't a ricky and is some --deleted-- tooth.

A lot has changed at Onslow, some of the weathered material has fresh gravel dumped on top which is bad however, there are new large areas in the back where the shovels have dug large pits.

The matrix in these newly dug areas is red sand which I was told in the past is good for rickys.
Also, as I poked around the pit, I did not see much fossil hunting activity, and the finds weren't too bad for a mid summer day. The weathered area always produces some of the nicest what I call mini-fossils, just perfect, brilliant mini versions of teeth, and noids you find at the other pits and GMR. Of course the Megs you find here and I found 2 (pieces) today are so tumbled, polished, and rounded that they can be called just rocks.

DSC00628.JPG
Another crappy noid!

What? Oh.. what about the find of a lifetime you say? Well let me just tell you that Mr. Meadows was very animated when he told this story.

"A week or so ago, this fella comes back in here holding this big ole tooth root and all." His eyes are popped open and he's holding his hands apart a good foot. "The fella says it a find of a lifetime and that he's going to send me a picture of it. Never did.... Matter of fact he asked me to not to tell any of you all about it." He said smiling.

You know what folks..... I bet if I looked thru that ledger a little longer you'd have found Gerald "Reel Tooth's signature...........

Makoboy
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• DSC00629.JPG
    DSC00629.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 884
  • DSC00624.JPG
    DSC00624.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 884
  • DSC00628.JPG
    DSC00628.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 881
Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got no idea what you're saying in about half of that, but cool finds and great pics.

Burnt Chimney

Nov 14, 2008
Hornet Nest North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT F-75 AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you found it before it was made into Clinker, MSHA says you shall wear hard hat and steeltoe shoes in mines and quarries. safety 1st :read2:

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d
LOL RGINN! I understood a little more than half, but pray tell, what is a "RICKY"?

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Intresting, thanks for posting. :)

Jaw Jah Danny

May 2, 2009
Thomasville, GA
Detector(s) used
MXT ,Tesoro Compadre ,Tesoro Tiger Shark, DFX
RGINN said:
I got no idea what you're saying in about half of that, but cool finds and great pics.
Same here my brother. LMAO.
Jacksonville,NC ? My wife is from Haw River,NC ;D
Good stuff man :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread