Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sun Conure, her name is Sunny. She is 3 1/2 years old. Her brothers name is Squidward- after the squid character on Spongebob cartoons. Sunny always wants to be with me. She has cruised to the Bahamas twice, been to the Keys 5 times. She wants to go for drives in the truck riding on my finger on the steering wheel. They love to do stuff with you, be careful how much you let it do now, they get spoiled and want it. Dont let it eat dinner with you or you will have it yelling your name, Sunny calls me daddy, to eat with you until you get him to eat, or cover his cage. Best if he cant see you eating. I took Sunny and her 2 siblings out of the nest when Sunny was just getting quills, maybe 2 1/2 weeks old, Sunny was the oldest. We have a male Pacific Parrotlet that is named Nugget. They do play together, but sunny is bonded to Lynn and I. She does just about everything with me. She is alway warning us when there is a racoon in the yard, she has been on my shoulder when trapping and scareing them away. She also tells us when hawks are on the aviaries. We raise parrots, and in the winter Sharp Shinned and Coopers hawks, which are exclusivly bird eaters, jump on the cages and scare the birds. Sunny really yells when that happens. They dont talk too good compared to other parrots. Sunny is a female and females dont talk as good as males, as with many parrots and other talking birds. Sunny eats lots of different foods, besides seeds and pellets. Like chicken, fish, pasta, cheese, fresh basil leaves, and likes drinking sweet drinks. They instinctly look up when outside and let you know when anything is flying, they fear death from above. They even see stuff we cant see I suppose a spy plane or something, they have telescopic vision and can focus and enlarge way off targets. They really dont like flying hawks eagles and vultures, but the worst is giant herons, Sunny flips out when one flys over. Birds respond best to 2 sylabal names like dogs. Oh, dont let it go any where near the cables on a computer printer or anything like that, even extension cords, they will chew and ruin them. Sun Conures are known as the clowns of the bird world. They do lots of funny things, you will see. They like tapping, making music by tapping, they will make up whole tunes. They also like to get in your shirt when it gets dark.
Mine is 12 weeks old and we have had him for a week. Hes already doing some of the things you mentioned. I never knew a bird could be so loving, he wants to be with someone all the time. Thanks for all the info.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Boss! I've found most birds expect to be the boss. he's gorgeous

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a nanday conure, I've had him for what will be 8 years come February. They are very similar to sun conures other than their colors and nandays happen to be the loudest of all conures lol. I really hope you enjoy the parrot. They can be very affectionate and entertaining. Your bird is beautiful, hopefully you will come up with a name soon!

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Parrots are beautiful birds, so spritely, clever, noisy in a good way and just classic pirate stuff... I'd call him Lawrence as he looks pretty regal.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome looking bird, How about 14K.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I forgot a few things. If he does something that you dont want him to do stop it early, once they start doing something for a while, it is hard to stop them. Nip it in the bud. The way and about the only way to get their attention and stop them, is if they are on your arm or hand, shake your hand, just enough to make a shaky perch, or if on your shoulder do the same. They dont respond to yelling, of course that encourages yelling. And when you shake, say NO! They will relate NO! to a shaky perch, which all birds dislike. They do respond to treats. Keep the treats for treats, and when they do something good, such as talking, doing something you tell it to do. And as soon as they do it, very quickly because they wont relate the trick and a treat, give the treat and say something supportive like "thats good" and say it very nicely. Sunny responds well to this and gets all giddy when I say "good". He does something different when I say good for doing a good thing, and when food is good. They do a lot of clicking to make sounds, will mimic sounds they hear with clicking, like the gurgling of the coffee maker, shaving my face, other things. They will actually talk with you and to you, it is just not as clear as some parrots. Treats might be pieces of walnuts, peanuts, that kind of thing. For food that they like occasionally, fresh cooked pasta and rice, scrambled eggs, soft cooked fish and do like to tear open chicken leg bones to get the marrow. they do make a mess though. Try to always provide new clean seeds or pellets, pellets are a lot less mess, but they prefer seeds, and they make a mess. And clean water,they often take baths, and wont if water is dirty. They will go in shower with you and will take a shower. We have asuction cup perch made just for showers. also they like to play in cardboard boxes. make sure you cut a couple doors, so they dont feel closed in. After a while playing in boxes, they really look forward to new boxes.

Last edited:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Bounty, Ahab, Pequod, Starbuck or my favorite Queequeg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perish the thought

"Splat" would actually be a very fitting fitting name for our cockatiel. We stopped clipping her wings because even clipped, they can figure out how to still fly. Anyway, our's never was very good at landing and tends to crash into things instead of landing.

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a sun conure named Don. I named him after Don Mattingly. what a great bird he was. Good luck with the new parrot. He will beat any treasure you will find.

I think "Jack" is a good name for him.

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Our parrot is a male eclectus , bright green. He made the voyage with us down the intercoastal from NJ to Fl west coast and just loves to be on the boat. His name is squid , the name often given to a cabin boy. He sings the popeye song , yo ho a pirates life and over 100 words and frazes . A freind calls him calamari. Good luck with your new freind . ARRRG !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread