Find this flintlock pistol 2 weeks ago what era?

Mitchell_smith

Nov 10, 2012
Find this flintlock pistol 2 weeks ago what era?

image-2539577998.jpg

image-2702030527.jpg

image-2731396082.jpg

Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug? If that's the case, then it is from the last week or last month era.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've come back and looked at the gun again, and that's a shotgun lock. CVA and Traditions cap lock Kentucky pistols all seem to have a drum and nipple. The fancy hammer and the lock plate are for an open hammer cartridge shotgun. So my guess now is that it's a parts gun, and someone used a kit Kentucky pistol stock, to attempt to build a parts muzzle loader.

Traditions kit.jpg This is a photo of a Traditions kit. Note the lock plate is cut for drum and nipple.

cartridge shot gun.jpg Here is an open hammer cartridge shot gun. Note how the lock plate goes up under the barrel and the fancy hammer, totally different from a muzzleloader. The gun breaks open, so the part of the lock under the barrel isn't in wood, but if you look close you can see what I'm looking at.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it has is a patten for 1859
It can have a patten of 1859 and still be a more modern kit gun.. Patten dates can range like that.. For example if you buy a 45 single action colt from the 1940's it will still more than likely have a patten date on it from around the 1870's.. The patten date is part of the nostalgia of the kit gun itself.. Just my thoughts..

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a better picture of the lock style I'm talking about, and it's on a cartridge gun.

cartridge shot gun1.jpg Here is a better photo of the hammers and lock plate. And here is a photo of a lock like the ones used on the CVA and Traditions Kentucky pistols. lock plate.jpg Note the cut out in front of the hammer for the drum and nipple.

In the process of looking for those photos, I came upon this one. spanish pistol.jpg This is a Spanish made replica. Note the lock looks a lot like the gun in question, although the hammer isn't as fancy.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

You got the exact gun. The more I looked the more confused I got. I knew it had to be a CVA or Traditions stock, but the lock really had me stumped. Good job Tnmountains. You beat me by three minutes, and I wouldn't have posted mine.

It's not CVA, looking at the link you posted, it's a Spanish knock off, and I'll bet the lock was initially intended for a shotgun. Still a great post though.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one just like it. Everyone made reproductions of that pistol perdesolli,CVA, some variations but that is not an original. First of all the wood would never survive. That was sanded down from the blank they gave you and lost loaded.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew when I saw it. I finally solved something!! yee haaa What section am I in? :dontknow: hahaha

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug? If that's the case, then it is from the last week or last month era.

Agreed, in my opinion if that was in the ground, (at least where it could get wet), it wasn't there very long.

Doc-USN(Ret)

Feb 24, 2013
Lexington, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"a farm near tennessee battlefield."

My guess is a reproduction lost during a reenactment of the battle.

Doc

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Its not old and if it was lost it was a VERY recent loss judging by the shape its in. By the way did you upload anymore pictures of that jar of $2 bills you found, I would love to see them, how many was there? what years were they? people want to know. Take a couple pictures for us and show us tonight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread