Find today help identify

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Cabella's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All found in the same area no where near a river or creek DSCN7668.JPG DSCN7669.JPG DSCN7670.JPG DSCN7671.JPG DSCN7672.JPG DSCN7673.JPG DSCN7674.JPG DSCN7676.JPG DSCN7677.JPG DSCN7678.JPG

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice point! Probably an arrowhead by its size, but I dont know. The one piece could be a pestle, but the only way to really tell would be to look for wear around the ends. The 3rd piece is probably just natural.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One nice Point and two natural stones. You are starting to find things so I predict after a while you will learn to distinguish the difference between natural and altered by man. Keep your eyes to the ground!! (Well, except crossing the street)

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Reaper! Nice Point!

Me too. Its the way I learned. Its also good to see research Native American history of your area, and see what kind of artifacts have been found in your area. North America was full of many different tribes with different technologies. A lot of the stuff you guys find back East isn't found out West, and visa versa.

That said, I dont know if pestles are a common find or even a possible find in this area. They're much more common out West, pestles in that general shape I mean. And when you see pestles they're often very well worked, perfectly rounded and so forth, which makes me think this piece here is most likely natural. But I don't like to discourage people either! ANd Im glad I havent discouraged our pirate friend here, since he is starting to find some really nice stuff.

Last edited:

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing about sites along rivers or streams. Imagine what an entire Indian village would look like. It would occupy a lot of space, right? So dont look just up along the banks, but in the entire area along the waterway. Streams can change course over time, and Ive found plenty of sites well back from the creek or river or wash (whatever). Another good place to look is at the confluence of rivers and their smaller tributaries.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that very well could be a pestle especially if found near other artifacts. It is notched similar to pestles I have found. Here is one that is very well worked. It is a personal find on private property. As Old Pueblo mentioned the west has different artifacts and a lot of the same. Personally I have been discouraged but it has pushed me to learn and look even harder. I have a lot of respect for the way you react to the comments here and keep coming back. I'm learning something from you. I also believe you may still think some of the things you have showed are artifacts that have been shot down. The truth is later on you will look back at these things and laugh at yourself while looking at your new finds.

20170912_185338.jpg

20170912_185333.jpg

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that very well could be a pestle especially if found near other artifacts. It is notched similar to pestles I have found. Here is one that is very well worked. It is a personal find on private property. As Old Pueblo mentioned the west has different artifacts and a lot of the same. Personally I have been discouraged but it has pushed me to learn and look even harder. I have a lot of respect for the way you react to the comments here and keep coming back. I'm learning something from you. I also believe you may still think some of the things you have showed are artifacts that have been shot down. The truth is later on you will look back at these things and laugh at yourself while looking at your new finds.

View attachment 1499427

View attachment 1499428

I doubt very much that your roller pestle is ""notched", rather it is broken on one end. Still Avery nice find! Good for you!

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few of those "finger rocks" as I call them, at Hohokam sites in So Az.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like old Pueblo mentioned it doesn't have to be a large creek. It could be a small stream or where a spring comes out of the ground, which may no longer run

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Creek find in Mississippi. Just a natural rock, but I had to pick it up, too cool.

Rock_3.jpg

Rock_1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread