Finding a wedding ring

Decdad

Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a 2yo Vaquero and seeing if anyone cN advise. Anyone got any tips for helping a neighbor find a lost wedding ring in their yard? Is there a good setting to find platinum vs gold...I know it's going to hit hard if it's on the surface most likely. I'm looking to avoid trash but I'm guessing it's going to be a bit tuff. Thanks.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was the one searching for it I would set my disc to the 1st notch above the iron setting with the 5.75 concentric and dig all solid repeatables left to right, back to front.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same

I found a ladies gold band, 14k size 6, discriminated out at "f" on foil.

Dunno about platinum.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Set your sensitivity at 6, and ground balance. Set your discrim just above foil, below nickel. It will be a sharp, clear signal. Best of luck!:skullflag:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said, the trash will usually bounce vdi a lot more than a nice wedding ring. I don't know your machine at all, but this should be almost a home run if you have some time there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it was recently lost, it's on the surface.at most tramped into the ground
just enough to not be visible.

no real digging necessary. scratching with your fingers maybe.
so just hope the area isn't a minefield of trash or iron ore.
as others said foil setting and use your eyes for every swing.
it will either hit hard or as a Double blip .
depending on woman's or mans size.

on a couple occasions My Eyes caught rings before My Coil even swung over them
on fresh drops, where I was contacted immediately.

They probably gave you an area to Search.
Don't give up if not in that area.
In most cases the ring was lost because it flew farther then they thought.
so if they say 10 foot circular area.
search at least twice that.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found a friend's wife's ring. We had her come outside and show us everywhere she thought she walked. The ring was finally found in the fire pit since she was picking up branches that day and dropping them in the pit. Good luck and don't give up!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It will come in at different areas depending on the size.
I have found gold rings as low as the F in foil so set your disc a hair below that.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the band is a tiny and platinum it's probably going to come in way low. I have a tiny platinum wedding band I found with the disc set at just to break up on a square nail. Turning the disc up even just a hair above that causes it to start to break up.

OP
OP
Decdad

Decdad

Mar 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back. Thanks for the suggestions. Yard was trash city so widescan was going nuts most of the time. I swept a good 10ft outside of the area they thought they lost it a MONTH ago. Then said it could have been lost anywhere. Has some good hits (moved to high disc to check) that were at least clad coins a few inches down but did not bother digging up their yard at 7am. He also admitted running the mower a few times over the areas...I explained it could be anywhere and I'd be glad to search the yard with more time and a smaller coil.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
This is one situation where a TID machine would help you out.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it would help really as gold rings in in a broad area of the scale. Unless you had a matching band to test with, you don't really know where it will come in.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it would help really as gold rings in in a broad area of the scale. Unless you had a matching band to test with, you don't really know where it will come in.

That's what I thought.

But we'll see what beerguy says, I'm willing to learn something new.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He also admitted running the mower a few times over the areas...I explained it could be anywhere and I'd be glad to search the yard with more time and a smaller coil.

That's not good. Do they rake and bag leaves or use a bag on their mower?

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it got hit by the mower it could be 2 yards over if you're in the city.
Still seems like a fun hunt.
Last year was searching an area where a guy said his buddy lost a wedding ring 2 years before. Haven't found it yet lol. But the mowers could have shot it God knows where lol

Minas man

Apr 5, 2014
Atlantic Canada
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Anfibio wireless headphones
Nokta Makro Pulse Dive & Pulse Dive 8 inch
Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP
NEL Hunter & 5 inch fish
Killer B's headphones
Tesoro Vaquero 5x10 DD wide scan Realistic No
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Vaquero to find a lost diamond engagement ring that I thought would never be found but I did not let the client know that. Big fight and she threw both wedding and diamond engagement rings off the deck. They found the wedding ring and could not find the engagement ring then rented a detector but had no luck finding and now it is 2 months later and multiple mowing and kids and dog in the yard. The first story that I was told did not add up so when I arrived to do the search I inquired further and found out the truth on how the rings were lost.
When they throw the rings they want them as far away as they can muster. LOL. Had her throw another ring a few times and once it ricocheted off the deck railing and the other times it landed where the recovered wedding ring had been found. There was trash in the yard but I used all metal mode via the pin point button and it took an hour to find it and was in the area where it bounced off the railing in the test throw and once I found it was visible laying on the ground untouched by the mower.
A night hunt with a powerful flash light will sometimes flush out the reflection of a ring on the surface.

Best of luck
Minas man

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread