3.9 KB · Views: 209
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
If you want battlefields, find old maps. If you want old small towns, locate old small cemeteries!!! Remember, back in the day, there were no hearsts to carry Uncle Bob 40 miles from where he lived to his plot. ALL small towns usually had at least one cemetery very close by. Find these old cemeteries and do some library time along with some Google time and I'd be willing to bet you'll come up with enough info on small towns in your area to keep you busy for years to come!

Wallycoz

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your local archives library is a great place for research on old sites/places.

lumix

Jun 11, 2005
Rhode Island
Maps;
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html
If you're in New England, this one is good. http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm

I spend a lot of time in the woods hiking and have found many cellar holes with out even trying.
Just today i found this one while on a shot 10 mile hike. I was only in 5 miles when I found myself on an old farm road.
http://www.weetu.com/foundation/foundation/

slow sweeper's Topo and photo maps is good advice. I use USAPhotoMaps.This is an excellent program that connects to terraserver for the maps and it has a lot of other features. If you use a GPSr , you can upload and downlost way points too. It's free to download and use but the maker would like a donation.http://jdmcox.com/ .
Here's a tip on finding old foundations on a topo. Go to a wooded area near where you live and look for white spots with a dot in it. This represents property with a structure on it. Now if there isn't a dot in it and it's well away from any streets, then there is a good chance there used to be a building there. The one i found today, still has a dot in it but by the looks of the fields ( still mostly fields with a few small trees) , it looks to have been abandoned early 1900's.
About 4 miles away, there is another old farm site. It has several enclosed fields that have reverted back to forest. There is a cellar hole,and a barn foundation. I would guess this one is early to mid 1800's.
These examples all have old cellar holes.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try joining a Metal Detecting Club. Better yet join your local Historical Society or attend a meeting. Either way will produce a lot of leads if you just get to know the people.
Ed

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good source for finding old sites is the local historical society,
I am fortunate to live within 50 miles of 5 ghost towns, several old forts and numerous old logging camps.
The problem is I live in the Nortwest corner of Montana in the only pacific rainforest in the state of Montana.
It rains here almost constantly. The rain itself is not the problem. The problem is the rain causes old buildings to deteriorate fast and old sites are reclaimed by nature quite fast. They can be hard to locate. I spent several hours yesterday in the rain looking for an old cabin that I found last year and could not relocate it. It is only a couple miles from My house. I'm sure I will find it again but it can be difficult. There is an old stamp mill still standing from an old gold camp not far from Me. I'm amazed the building is still standing with all the stamping equiptment still relatively intact.
So far however all I have found there are chinese coins.
I have had old locals tell Me there is an old hotel back on that mountain somewhere that is still standing but I have been unable to locate it so far.
You would have to see how dense the forest is around here to understand.
When I do make a find which are few and far between they are good finds. Lots of Barber dimes and one half and a quarter so far.
On the plus side is You can be almost assured You are the first to detect many of these old sites when and if You can find them.
The local historical society put out a small book on the history of this area that has helped a great deal in finding some of these old places.
maverick

lumix

Jun 11, 2005
Rhode Island
maverick4440 said:
I spent several hours yesterday in the rain looking for an old cabin that I found last year and could not relocate it. It is only a couple miles from My house. I'm sure I will find it again but it can be difficult.

Look into getting a GPSr (Global Positioning System Receiver) It's easy to mark any sites you find that you're interested in returning to. When the time comes, just bring up that way point and click on go to and it'll take you there.You can find one now for under $100. http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/products.html I use a etrex venture for hiking and geocaching. I never leave home with out it.I have about 35 way points for cellar holes in the New England woods stored on it. I can choose any one of them and it'll tell me how many miles away i am from it( with in 12 feet) and an arrow to follow to get me there.

maverick4440

Mar 20, 2003
NW Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GPS is an excellent Idea and I have thought about it.
I had another person recommend the Garmin etrex legend and getting a GPS is absolutely on My list.
Unfortunatly We live in Grizzly country as well and My wife insisted I buy some two way radios so I can keep in touch just in case and just last week I bought some 5 watt 14 mile range FRS radios so My budget for this month is spent. They weren't cheap.
I will look into GPS next month however.
Maverick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread