Finding Newer Detector Designs Intriguing

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can do is online research and read comments here when it comes to buying advice for a new machine. And I'm thankful I have that because no dealers are close by. I have to admit that I'm finding the Deus and Nox 800 interesting, particularly the Deus. I am looking seriously at the CTX which is undoubtedly a great machine, but the platform seems to be aging and I would like to save the money. Not sure I would ever use the mapping features. I carry a magnetic compass and USGS Quad map, and don't own a GPS. Sometime I have to hike an hour in to my hunting spots so compactness would help. Now I sling my White's Spectra V3i across my back with a rope sling. If I get caught in rain I have to cover the head with a plastic bag. I don't hunt areas with a lot of trash but do have to deal with nails plus I need something for dry sand beaches. That's not to say I might hunt some trashy areas now and then in the future. But I am getting the core of the argument. Why spend so much on discrimination capabilities when you should be digging targets that might be good? Colonial settlements are my main hunts.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Having both detectors, my opinion and suggestion is for the Deus. Super light weight and can collapse down to a perfect backpacking size. The advanced settings like the X/Y Graphic screen does a fantastic job in separating the ferrous from the non ferrous.
So many features that are easy to learn that will help you in different ground. If waterproof is needed the kit works excellent.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to add, my main detector at the beach is the Deus with the HF Coils. Last stellar find, a 950 Platinum ring with the Deus.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out two recent threads of today. My Deus sucked the Civil War items out of one totally hunted out spot and one we have been on for almost five years now.
I deliberately kept the nails this time out, just because. Especially the Rev War nails. I like the Deus over my old Equinox as it is lighter, more maneuverable in tight spots, like sticker bush thickets (where the US plate was found), and kills it in both wet and dry sand with the newest update. Get the HF coil with one if you go that way. PLUS it doesn't break. I have tried. If you get an Equinox, figure on getting a carbon fiber lower shaft after market for it. Everyone I know who has an Equinox did that and it improved the handling.

I carry (sometimes) a handheld Garmin GPS. Fits in my pocket and is accurate down to inches.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today i watched all of the instructional videos made with Gary. Liking it more and more. I usually buy my detectors from Kellyco, but notice they are only selling the RC WS4 package with 11” X35 DD but no mention of the $20 pin pointer special going on right now. But I'm thinking that is the combo I prefer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread