Finding ROV thrusters.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Digsamura,
We appreciate you posting the exact same message over and over, but I went to the website and basically nothing was there! I think posting the message once is enough. It would be nice to have an inexpensive ROV thruster for the hobbyist. Let us know when something is finally in production.

Thanks,

Robert in SC

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just use trolling motors,they are cheap,well made,dependable.you can get them in thrust ratings all the way up to 100lbs some are even higher.just fill them with a lightweight oil like glycerin,with no air bubbles,then expoxy up the hole where the wires come out.the motors could go alot deeper then 300 feet.

ceolacanth

Nov 20, 2004
Fisheye
A word of serious caution here
I would check out the electrical and thermal conductivity of Glycerin
It must BE COMPLETELY non conductive in regards to electrical properties (I think this stands to reason)
Also is important to ensure the oils used are suited to water temp and operating temp of motor Too thick will create resistance, and yet in cooler waters or smaller motors which are not generating much heat thinner (lower viscosity ) oils are needed.

On a final note you can epoxy closed the cable outlet as long as you dont close the other two holes needed for filling and bleeding the motor these need to be interconnected with a soft tubing to allow compression and expansion of fluids . the fluids will expand when the motor runs for a while especially in warmer waters.If the motor is completely sealed shut it will push out the thrust seals on the main shaft and/or the sealing plugs.

OP
OP
digsamura

digsamura

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2005
New Jersey
Sorry guys,
I feel like a total jerk now. I'm new to all this stuff and I got too excited. I won't be posting again. Thanks for the trolling motor idea. I will try to find some that are small enough for my little ROV. The thing is only 6" square. By the way Robert, I think the site lists a December date for production or something like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread