ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read that a lot of counterfeit silver stuff is marked 925 Italy; could it be silver plated?

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did acid test it showed silver so I believe it's real

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Chains tend to ring up oddly. I have found a couple, but it was luck, not skill. I was digging all repeatable signals, and they showed up. I believe it is because they are not "solid". The machine likes round solid metal objects. A chain by nature is made of links, which are not solid. Mine were choppy broken signals.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the small size is what is dropping the FECO response. I have found small rings and lockets (silver) that read like an indianhead because of their size/depth/orientation.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks , I been passing on theses signals because got tried of finding zincLincoln , I was going to pass on this one glad I didn't, lesson learned

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people are used to coin vdi's. Jewelry, both gold and silver have nothing to do with coins. Shape, size, alloy matrix, how it's laying in the ground(chains balled up vs spread out) will all give you a diff reading. Heck, even a worn out barber/mercury dime will ring up like a zinc. If you want jewelry, you gotta dig it all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As touched on by others, a chain is not detected as a total of all it's pieces. The target I.D. is based on the largest of the individual parts.....usually the clasp. The last necklace I found had real tiny links and clasp. It read 12-10 on my E-trac, and sounded like a scratchy bit of foil. It turned out to be a nice silver necklace. Good thing I was at the beach and scooping everything non-ferrous, because, if I'd received that reading in a park, I would have ignored it.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Consider the difficulty of imparting large circulating eddies on tiny links - the most effective means is with a high freq xmit coil. To get a high Co values the target needs a flat area, like a coin, to drive currents.

Rings can make higher Co values if the band is wider, but if the band is broken the current cannot fully flow and the Co value drops.

Then there's orientation in the ground - a ring laying on its side or a coin on-edge may intersect the coil's more vertical field lines mostly along the edge - where surface area is minimal. But with a bit of an angle in the soil the ring or coin's surface is exposed more and will rate a higher Co value as more eddies can be induced.

If the surface is corroded or pitted, greater resistance decreases currents and a lower Co results. When metals are mixed with gold or silver, the resulting alloys can greatly decrease surface conductivity, making gold rings appear like foil (12Fe, 02Co), even though the original metals were very conductive in their own right.

Thus, it is understandable why most people hunting for jewelry simply must dig everything, unless it clearly is iron. And it is why a higher freq machine excites at depth that poorly oriented, alloyed ring, with the broken band, better by making stronger eddies than a low-freq machines.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing i did notice is while I was getting 12-36/37 signal the cursor was all the way at top and by chance there was a zinc in the same area the silver necklace was , zinc give me a 12-36/37 same signal,but cursor was mid way on the screen.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did acid test it showed silver so I believe it's real

Yeah, saw that in your initial post. Wasn't clear that you had scraped enough metal away so that you had gotten below any plating.
I am always suspect of any jewelry of recent manufacture stamped Italy.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you're right I was suspect jewelry I'm going to the jewelry today and see what it is

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread