Finding swimming holes

Paulsj

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in North Texas and as you might know, there is not much coastline up here :) I have a Fisher F2 and thought that maybe I could find some freshwater places to MD in. The problem is that even though I have lived here all my life, I am having one heck of a time finding these swimming holes. How on earth do you find these things where people are congregating to go swimming?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get a Delorme map book of Texas available at Kellyco and many book stores. It contains topographic maps, look for the boat ramp symbol as many swimming holes exist near them or utilized as one.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also don't forget to ask seniors about swimming holes. I was once told Texan's only drink water.

OP
OP
P

Paulsj

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i live by a lot of creeks and the Trinity River. I am sooo not sure I am going into the Trinity. I'd be glowing for a week. Ugh.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
try Google Earth and just look around. Good luck and happy hunting. Ralph

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Also don't forget to ask seniors about swimming holes. I was once told Texan's only drink water.
Don't forget to ask the old folks ANYTHING about past places when they were young!!! God Bless Chris

Last edited:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Whoever heard of drinking water? I would have a better chance of finding a lost treasure than finding a glass of water this summer.:icon_scratch:

Now a glass of sweet ice tea on the other hand. :laughing7:

Finding swimming holes could be tricky, that is one that is not in a state park. State parks are on the no no list.:dontknow:

Look for camp grounds, boat ramps, and fishing areas. You might have to pay a entrance fee and you will have to ask if they will let you metal detect at the place.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got through looking at Google Earth in north Texas and it's not going to be easy to find swimming holes there. Better go with asking the old timers I guess.

DANGLANGLEY

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
This site can be used for the entire US...

SwimmingHoles.info Texas Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

I am in North Texas and as you might know, there is not much coastline up here :) I have a Fisher F2 and thought that maybe I could find some freshwater places to MD in. The problem is that even though I have lived here all my life, I am having one heck of a time finding these swimming holes. How on earth do you find these things where people are congregating to go swimming?

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread