HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes of course you do.. Most of your really good finds are going to be weak signals sometimes so weak you barely hear them.. I use a fisher 1266x so i can not speak for the White's Spectrum you have but signals 4-6 inches for you should be "some what weak" but hear-able and understandable, anything over 6-12+ will be faint signals and some will almost be a whisper if you will... Get a couple coins and bury them and play around with the depth it is the only way your gonna get use to it. Good luck :occasion14:

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earphones and listening to weaker signals will get you more depth.

Topdecker

Dec 19, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden umax
Fisher Coinstrike
Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Periscope Probe
Primary Interest:
Other
There is nothing wrong with digging only the sure hits at first. It helps you learn and keeps the frustration level low.

With the deeper targets, dig them in context. If you are hunting clad in a new school yard that clearly has had a bunch of bulldozer work, digging a crater to get to a 14" soda can is digging out of context.

Context firmly in mind, start by digging only the repeatable deeper targets. A repeatable target is one that you can swing the coil over and get a sound every time the coil crosses it from either direction. You then rotate 90 degrees to the deeper target and check it again - it should continue to repeat. Later you might want to dig some of the targets that fail to repeat when you rotate - most of the time you are going to discover that it is just something causing your detector to false, but discovering that first hand helps you gain some trust in your detector and your own growing skills.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I had an XLT & and almost never dug a coin below 4" as I only dug signals that the display said were probable coins. The visual ID below 4" or so had numbers jumping around so much it was hard to guess what it might be. I sent the detector to the factory. They put on a new coil, but it still had this problem. I tried hundreds of different settings, but could not use settings anything near those suggested by others. So I sold it after finding $1,200+ in shallow clad and few older coins.

Mostly detected in new parks & knowing the age of them helps. Found 11 silvers in a 12 acre 1963 park & 3 silvers in a 3 acre 1964 park. These places have more clad, too, compared to the heavily detected older parks.

One XLT user posted about using the non-motion all metal mode for extreme depth. I did an air test, a Kennedy Half got about 10" in motion disc, but about 18" in all metal non-motion. The only clue to a possible coin would be in pinpoint, if it seemed coin-sized & round.

I got a Garrett AT Pro now. Not long after I had the ground balance set properly, I got a loud beep that indicated dime on every sweep. It was a clad dime down 7". I was impressed as my soil is moderately mineralized & was dry & hard. The clad dime was found in a heavily detected park made about 1973-74. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
K

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
George, thanks, albeit it late, for your feedback. When you say non-motion all metal mode, I would assume using a slow sweep vs. the whip motion. Am I correct? I had a Compass machine that I had luck with that required a slow sweep. I always felt that I got more depth and accuracy with a slow sweep. If I can do that with my XLT then I can't wait to try it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions